Bay Area to Oregon along 101, any interesting freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurrySeaCoral

We are driving from Southern California to Whistler BC to attend some of the Winter Olympic events. We will drive along 101 from the Bay Area through the redwoods and continue along the Oregon coast. I just got a Uniden 396XT and started filling it up using the RadioReference database, trunked digital and conventional. On this CA stretch of drive, are there any particular must-listen, active and interesting freqs where I should turn off my car stereo and turn on the scanner and have some fun with the scanner?

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I used to live up on the North Coast, and it is pretty sleepy this time of year. I'd keep an ear on CHP (42.54 from Willits to the Oregon Border) for rock slides and other weather related hazards. Redwood Natl Park (165.1625) and State Parks (151.01) may have some interesting traffic. I wouldn't bother with the various PDs and SOs. Great place for coffee and bagels in Eureka and Arcata: Los Bagels.
Have a safe trip.

Dave
Fremont

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I definitely agree with "Oakland Tower" about monitoring CHP "Humboldt Dispatch" on 42.54 from north of Willits to the Oregon line, and in some spots you may hear the mobiles repeated, but that's spotty at best.

Since you'll be on 101 for about 107 mostly-slow miles in Mendo County, I'd suggest putting MCSO dispatch in your scan list just for chuckles (154.755 and 155.985, I believe); likewise 101 wanders thru Humboldt County for 135 squiggly miles, so I'd recommend their 154.74R Sheriff's dispatch frequency and maybe 154.07R, the County Fire Net. The Natl/State parks and Forest here are pretty dead during the winter, but you might hear a few syllables from them.

If you decide to hang your hat in the Eureka/Arcata area for an evening, I've got an up-to-date freq list at HUMBOLDT COUNTY SCANNER FREQUENCIES but the "active" freqs would be mainly Eureka PD's 154.95R and Arcata PD 155.43R. If you're just driving thru I wouldn't even bother programming those two in. Everything from at least Mendocino County north is conventional and analog. Like the good ol days.

I used to live up on the North Coast, and it is pretty sleepy this time of year. I'd keep an ear on CHP (42.54 from Willits to the Oregon Border) for rock slides and other weather related hazards. Redwood Natl Park (165.1625) and State Parks (151.01) may have some interesting traffic. I wouldn't bother with the various PDs and SOs. Great place for coffee and bagels in Eureka and Arcata: Los Bagels.
Have a safe trip.

Dave
Fremont

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.