Bay County (Motorola Type II Smartnet & P25p2 00A.924B5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksroberson

I talked to the county radio techs the other day.
Heard about the flaws in the system, won’t go into them now. The thing about TGs is if there is a phase 1 radio on a phase 2 TG, the entire tg is brought down to phase 1. Panama City beach fire uses Harris portables, has APX radios as backups and XTL radios in trucks. So the entire TG is phase1. All of the sheriff office is on Harris so they are all phase 2 but if just one Motorola radio switched over to their channel it would bring the entire TG to Ph1.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I talked to the county radio techs the other day.
Heard about the flaws in the system, won’t go into them now. The thing about TGs is if there is a phase 1 radio on a phase 2 TG, the entire tg is brought down to phase 1. Panama City beach fire uses Harris portables, has APX radios as backups and XTL radios in trucks. So the entire TG is phase1. All of the sheriff office is on Harris so they are all phase 2 but if just one Motorola radio switched over to their channel it would bring the entire TG to Ph1.
Reversion of a channel to FDMA is not a “flaw” it is by design to help localities transition older equipment to new infrastructure, and save money in the short term.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
As of today the Transit (Trolley) has switched over. 5011 is Trolley Disp 5012 is the BAT. 5013-5014 unknown name. Edit.... 4051-4054 unknown names last week was hearing bunch of testing and they were teaching the users how to use the radio(s) I didn't hear nothing this week on those.

TinBadge

Premium Subscriber
I'll do my best to explain the problem. Before anyone states the obvious, I've tried different antennas with no change. I've programmed the scanner many times, again the same problem comes up.
Now to the problem. I use my BCD996p2 in my vehicle. It works fine when I'm sitting in the driveway of my house. When I drive to the area where I work (which is 10 miles from my house) I get an NFM on the scanner and nothing is heard. As I drive around I get intermittent or broken reception. Here's the weird part. It seems to only be in the area where I work. If I go either east or west or outside the area I work in, the scanner receives again. It's as if I work in a dead zone (it is but that's a different story).
Does anyone have a solution or a fix?

wprileyjr3

I'll do my best to explain the problem. Before anyone states the obvious, I've tried different antennas with no change. I've programmed the scanner many times, again the same problem comes up.
Now to the problem. I use my BCD996p2 in my vehicle. It works fine when I'm sitting in the driveway of my house. When I drive to the area where I work (which is 10 miles from my house) I get an NFM on the scanner and nothing is heard. As I drive around I get intermittent or broken reception. Here's the weird part. It seems to only be in the area where I work. If I go either east or west or outside the area I work in, the scanner receives again. It's as if I work in a dead zone (it is but that's a different story).
Does anyone have a solution or a fix?
The problem is probably simulcast distortion. Bay county uses a simulcast system and most scanners have issues with it. It can be location dependent like you describe. This is because you have multiple towers transmitting at the same frequency. So in your driveway you may be getting signal from one tower so you receive fine. When you get to work you may be in a location where you are getting good signal from multiple towers. The issue is the signal from each tower arrives slightly off from the other and the scanner can’t decode the digital signal hence garbled or no reception at all. The fix unfortunately is to go to a SDS 100, SDS 200, Unication G4 or G5 voice pager, or SDR. Each have pros and cons. I personally have a G5 and visited Bay county in November had no issues receiving Bay county Public Safety.

TinBadge

Premium Subscriber
What is the "teletype" channel used for? I've never heard of such.
Teletype is used to convey information, ie. warrants checks, drivers license information etc. It's used to keep the main channel free for more important radio traffic.

The problem is probably simulcast distortion. Bay county uses a simulcast system and most scanners have issues with it. It can be location dependent like you describe. This is because you have multiple towers transmitting at the same frequency. So in your driveway you may be getting signal from one tower so you receive fine. When you get to work you may be in a location where you are getting good signal from multiple towers. The issue is the signal from each tower arrives slightly off from the other and the scanner can’t decode the digital signal hence garbled or no reception at all. The fix unfortunately is to go to a SDS 100, SDS 200, Unication G4 or G5 voice pager, or SDR. Each have pros and cons. I personally have a G5 and visited Bay county in November had no issues receiving Bay county Public Safety.
I suspected that may be the problem. What if I changed the P25 wait time?

Can someone explain what " Muni Dispatch for Sfpd-Pkpd " is for me please
It's the primary dispatch channel for Springfield and Parker PD.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
On 1/22 will no longer be in Bay County. I'm guessing someone will take over for newer TG for this system or any updates for the area.

marksroberson

I've heard about nothing but brush fires on the radio the past couple weeks over here in North Florida.
Ive been listening to the forestry TAC channels on VHF, local FDs are using county tacs I believe. staging area is at the PC mall. we have mutual aid brush trucks from as far as Jackson Co.

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Orange, Seminole, Osceola, and St. Cloud sent resources to Bay County a couple of days ago as part of FL-TF 4.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
From last night due to a plane crash and this morning a tornado in callaway has anyone seen any new TGs pop up the last 24 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.