BBC on International Shortwave 11 Meter band

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Listening around today, I managed to snag the BBC broadcasting out of Wooferton in the UK on the 11 meter International shortwave band (25.500 - 26.200 MHz). This was at 1730 UTC on 25.900 MHz. Nice solid +10dB signal. They're still on as I type this.

Good to see the highest frequency short wave band being used by an international broadcaster.

Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH is showing a Danish station also broadcasting at 25.800 MHz, but I can't hear that one at all.

Edit.. And they just went off the air at 13:00 UTC.

Last edited:

markclark

Premium Subscriber
Listening around today, I managed to snag the BBC broadcasting out of Wooferton in the UK on the 11 meter International shortwave band (25.500 - 26.200 MHz). This was at 1730 UTC on 25.900 MHz. Nice solid +10dB signal. They're still on as I type this.

Good to see the highest frequency short wave band being used by an international broadcaster.

Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH is showing a Danish station also broadcasting at 25.800 MHz, but I can't hear that one at all.

Those frequencies are broadcast audio links. I used to listen to a station from Dallas or Houston, I forget which from L.A. It came in very strong

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not in this case. Anyone check the latest EiBi or HFCC lists to see if the BBC has a scheduled transmission on that frequency? The OP is correct - that band is usually used for SWBC, but with the recent upswing in solar activity some of the big boys might be returning.

A quick check of the World of Radio logs on groups.io lists 25900 as Woofferton UK and several logs this month on that frequency.

Mike

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Not in this case. Anyone check the latest EiBi or HFCC lists to see if the BBC has a scheduled transmission on that frequency? The OP is correct - that band is usually used for SWBC, but with the recent upswing in solar activity some of the big boys might be returning.

A quick check of the World of Radio logs on groups.io lists 25900 as Woofferton UK and several logs this month on that frequency.

Mike
Directly from BBC web site

1700879208722.png

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
NP. In the future if you want to check the veracity of reports like this, you can use 2 sources both from the popular groups.io listserver
  • WOR which stands for World of Radio run by Glenn Hauser which has pretty close to up to the minute reports on what is being heard on SW (MW and a little TV, too)
  • SWSkeds - run by former NASWA prez Dan Ferguson, combines numerous schedule lists such as HFCC, EiBi and several others into one spreadsheet
Mike

ve3id

I was just going to make a post asking if there were any national broadcasters still operating, thanks for that. I built a softrock that I am running on the roof of my condo building but am only hearing some close, mostly religious, broadcasters. I'll have a listen. Thanks.
73 de Nigel ve3id

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've copied it a few times since I originally posted. I just heard it again today. As in the schedule TerryPavlick posted above, it's on between 16:00 and 17:45 UTC. But they've been signing off closer to 17:55

The target is west and central Africa, It's been coming it pretty good here in Manitoba. I'm using a three element Yagi antenna which helps a lot. When I point at England the signal really comes up.

To see what's up on 11 meters in general, go to Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH

The page defaults to the BBC on the 120 meter band. But if you go to part where it says "List everything on-air in the" you'll see a menu box to the right of that. Choose 11 meter band. Click NOW and then you'll see everything currently broadcasting on the chosen band.

Along with the BBC, I see World Music Radio out of Denmark showing as active at 25.800, but I've never heard them. The site shows that they are running lower power (0.2 KW). Perhaps that's why.

ve3id

I've copied it a few times since I originally posted. I just heard it again today. As in the schedule TerryPavlick posted above, it's on between 16:00 and 17:45 UTC. But they've been signing off closer to 17:55

The target is west and central Africa, It's been coming it pretty good here in Manitoba. I'm using a three element Yagi antenna which helps a lot. When I point at England the signal really comes up.

To see what's up on 11 meters in general, go to Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH

The page defaults to the BBC on the 120 meter band. But if you go to part where it says "List everything on-air in the" you'll see a menu box to the right of that. Choose 11 meter band. Click NOW and then you'll see everything currently broadcasting on the chosen band.

Along with the BBC, I see World Music Radio out of Denmark showing as active at 25.800, but I've never heard them. The site shows that they are running lower power (0.2 KW). Perhaps that's why.
Thanks for that information. I looked and it says they are transmitting in Danish right now, and I only know a few words in that language but not some normally heard on the air :) My antenna here is only a 1/4 wave for 10m and I can't do much better since I am in a condo. I will add it to my watch list though in case the bands get better! (We can only hope!)

a29zuk

Wow, haven't heard Denmark since the 1970's! Used to be on 15160khz.

We'll have to try to hear it again.

Jim

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The BBC has used that frequency when sunspots/solar flux was high enough when I first started listening back in the late 1960's.

kf9aq

Premium Subscriber

I am listening to BBC World Service now on 25.900 @ 1620 UTC. Jan 15, 2024. Great signals (S9) here into Wisconsin. ICOM 7300 and dipole.

Good day,

Kevin