Bc-246t

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlconnell

Just wanted to leave my comments regarding the Uniden BC-246T Trunk Tracker III handheld scanner. Comparing it to the BCD-396T I'm suprised at what a much better performer that the BC-246T is. Just NO DIGITAL and of course only 10 Quick Keys were the only drawbacks about the radio. I love the BNC connector as opposed to the SMA the 396T has. It has better audio quality from it's small speaker and trunks better. A great bang for your buck at $189.00 if you don't need digital. Also with Dynamic Memory !!
I previously got rid of my 396T due to being a poor performer. The radio just is not worth it's selling price. I did however love my BCD-996T however it too had issues with digital performance making the digital features not real attractive. I've decided to wait a few more years for the next digital Uniden puts out. Maybe then they will have it down pat.
Not real sure GRE would be much better? Just my 2 cents. For a 1994 Radio the BC-246T is a solid performer in every way shape and form.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I agree 100% on your info about the 246, they did it write the first time...I keep my 396 as somewhat of a base with a outside antenna and external speaker , that way its more useful ...I take the 246 everywhere....When i need digital on the highway here in ILL on the new Starcom 700/800 i use the GRE500, what a AWSOME scanner on digital decode and audio....They (GRE) did it write!! the first time.....

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I'll agree too, I've owned numerous scanners over the years and the BC246T certainly surpassed them all. I'm very soon getting a used BC250D radio with the digital card. I'm not too worried about the audio, compared to not having digital all this time to begin with. Will be looking forward to playing with the digital though.

I've never had to worry about digital in my area, yes there's digital police, but I listen on the local analog repeater that transmits the main digital talkgroup for the county anyways, so I've never been lost anyhow.

Atleast now with the digital, I'll be able to pick up all the other talkgroups that they sometimes will switch too.

brandon

Database Admin
246 is a great scanner. The Close Call "Auto Store" is a great feature to find new/unknown freqs to monitor and is small enough to put in pocket without being noticed too much :)

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it's my area or setup, but I find that side by side, my BCT15 (while not portable) has 10 times better signal than the 246T does... even with the same antenna. I like the options and features of the 246T, but the signal isn't very good IMHO.

tomandnic

I agree with many points.. and I can understand how a base/mobile unit would have better reception then a handheld (I find that comparing my 996 and 396 side by side)

tomandnic

But the 500 is NOT GRE's first radio, so no they didnt do it right the first time.

They have been producing radios for Radio Shack for many years.. the Pro-92 was my first GRE radio and what a mess in trunking that was compared to my older Uniden made Pro-90 (Although only a Trunck Tracker 1 single system)..

So these are not GRE's first radio's..

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I should have said "first Digital 700/800mgz scanner"......I also own the PRO92 "Original", its a nice scanner even with its screwed up Motorola trunking but im hoping it will do the Moto Type11 "rebanded" trunking with out mods....

DonS

RoninJoliet said:
I should have said "first Digital 700/800mgz scanner"
Perhaps also qualified with "first scanner that GRE designed and built without being restricted by a re-seller's product specification"

k9jdk

mlconnell said:
Just wanted to leave my comments regarding the Uniden BC-246T Trunk Tracker III handheld scanner. Comparing it to the BCD-396T I'm suprised at what a much better performer that the BC-246T is. Just NO DIGITAL and of course only 10 Quick Keys were the only drawbacks about the radio. I love the BNC connector as opposed to the SMA the 396T has. It has better audio quality from it's small speaker and trunks better. A great bang for your buck at $189.00 if you don't need digital. Also with Dynamic Memory !!
I previously got rid of my 396T due to being a poor performer. The radio just is not worth it's selling price. I did however love my BCD-996T however it too had issues with digital performance making the digital features not real attractive. I've decided to wait a few more years for the next digital Uniden puts out. Maybe then they will have it down pat.
Not real sure GRE would be much better? Just my 2 cents. For a 1994 Radio the BC-246T is a solid performer in every way shape and form.

I believe the bc246t was introduced in the 2004 timeframe not 1994 as mentioned above.

CStarr59

Well, I just ordered a BC246T off ebay NIB for $189. Got my hopes up it performes great, and I think it will. Now I need some software and a USB cable. I'll post my opinion on this scanner when it arrives and it's programmed and hooked to my diamond RH77CA antenna.
Any advice on where to get a USB cable, and whats the best and easiest to use software for this scanner?

CStarr59

Thank you on the recomendations of the ARC246 software. I was leaning toward this but didn't know if it was the best to use. Any suggestions on a USB cable? Does the scanner come with one? and if not, does RS sell one that will work?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Maybe at one time, York, but more and more, that's no longer true - USB ports are showing up in place of serial on newer PCs. You can find older PCs with serial ports, though...

Uniden sells their own USB-serial converter, with their own drivers. But there are other distributors that also seem to work - Belkin products seem to enjoy a good reputation, as I've seen them mentioned often interfacing with other products. I THINK Scanner Master also sells them, as does the folks at Scan Control for interfacing with their software.

73 Mike

CStarr59

I have a newer PC and it doesn't have a serial port, only usb. I will search the web and see what I come up with. Thank you for all the great info.

CStarr59

I got the BC246T yesterday and "Oh Boy" does this thing seem complicated. I ordered a USB cable and software and it should be here in a day or so. I only want to program about 60+ conventional frequencies (no trunking) for starters. Any tips or important things with the ARC246 for my attention so I can accomplish this task. I am going to clear the scanners memory before I do anything.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Actually, it's quite easy. I've never faced trunking before I got this radio, and with the software, I had everything I needed programmed in 3 days. It's very easy, once you figured it out, you won't want to get rid of the radio.

CStarr59 said:
I got the BC246T yesterday and "Oh Boy" does this thing seem complicated. I ordered a USB cable and software and it should be here in a day or so. I only want to program about 60+ conventional frequencies (no trunking) for starters. Any tips or important things with the ARC246 for my attention so I can accomplish this task. I am going to clear the scanners memory before I do anything.

CStarr59

Downloaded the ARC246 free demo version and got myself up and running with a basic conventional system. It seems like a very easy and simple system to use. My biggest problem was with the comm port settings, but with the auto detect and baud rate settings it all came together and got downloaded. The scanner is working well and I like it, although I know I am only scratching the surface with this unit. I guess I need to pay and download the official ARC246 and see how much further I can go!

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah, buy the software for sure.... I thought I could get away with it by programming it once and not having the buy the software. But trust me, it makes things so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.