BC-250 Bearcat eletra help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffssig

Yes I know it is old. I am new to this. But I have an older BC-250 Bearcat eletra.
A few questions.

I only have the unit. Do I need to program it? If so I cant find any info online.
Will it just scan all the channels and not need to program?

I also see a coax for outside antenna. I live in a rural area would this help if I found an outside antenna.

What type of range should I expect?

Any info on this unit would be a major help.

should I just ditch this one and buy a new model?

Thanks!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The first thing we need to know is where you are - county/state will do just fine.

While there might be freqs in there from the previous owner, it's likely it would need to be reprogrammed. This can be done manually or with software....anyway, go up to the blue toolbar under the site title, float your mouse over Database then select Frequency database. Use the various pulldowns or the map to get to the area where you live. C'mon back with the URL so everyone knows what you need.

Yes, a better antenna will help you hear further, but there are many other factors involved here such as the height of your antenna and the transmitter's, the frequency, power output, any obstructions between you and your target. But before anyone can recommend an antenna, let's see what the database has to say...

HTH...Mike

jeffssig

Thanks the download was some help. I think I have it all setup and working now.

Now to figure out what outside antenna to use.

EMTJD

While there might be freqs in there from the previous owner, it's likely it would need to be reprogrammed. This can be done manually or with software....

No, software won't work. This scanner was made before such things were computer-programmable. This is a strictly manual programming scanner. One channel at a time. No other way.

EMTJD

should I just ditch this one and buy a new model?!

There's nothing wrong with it so long as what you want to listen to is not digital or a trunked system. If it's strictly analog, you're good.

What is the condition? What would you want for it?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I had a 250 almost 40 years ago. Disappointing performance and quality. Compared to modern scanners, even really basic ones, it was not much good. Band coverage is limited and it won't exactly receive narrow band channels. Sensitivity was poor as well. Mine went for recycling decades ago.

N8IAA

There's nothing wrong with it so long as what you want to listen to is not digital or a trunked system. If it's strictly analog, you're good.

What is the condition? What would you want for it?

You responded to someone who hasn't been on in almost 6 and half years. Hopefully, your response will help someone else.
Larry

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I think we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.