bc 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a BCD 396xt and was wondering if anyone knows an "easy" way to program the unit---the manual is very confusing ;-(
What I want to do is put the mostly conventional systems into groups---where I can put all my counties in the scanner and being able to enable/disable the county in my travels. I can easily do this on my RS Pro 97 scanner,
I am using the Butel Basic software. There was a step by step description on YouTube but they must have taken it down.
I am off on vacation this week and if you want to "walk" me through the steps I can call you--Please send phone number to wb3dye@aol.com

captclint

Mentor
I have a BCD 396xt and was wondering if anyone knows an "easy" way to program the unit---the manual is very confusing ;-(
What I want to do is put the mostly conventional systems into groups---where I can put all my counties in the scanner and being able to enable/disable the county in my travels. I can easily do this on my RS Pro 97 scanner,
I am using the Butel Basic software.
That's a lot of programming, even it you do learn how. Suggest you become a member of RR Premium Subscription Information Page and then you can down load all those counties. If you assign the same system quick key to all systems in each county, it will be like a bank turn off/on for each county. Using ARC should make the whole thing less confusing, but you have to understand the basics Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki Then be sure to look at http://marksscanners.com/996/996.shtml

brey1234

Banned
MY FOLLOW UP QUESTION

How do I get the frequencies to read out? I have the Butel ARC XT basic software for the BC 396 XT. Is there a way to do it from the keypad?

teufler

I use freescan, I've used Butel alittle. Go to your scanner options. mode 1,2,3 with mode 2 settings, you will get the frequency to show. The 396xt is "A WHOLE NOTHER BREED OF CAT". you can enter frequencies from the keypad, they are save in your Quick save Conv group. If you want to save frequencies from a department, you first make a system, then a site, then a group. Much harder than your RS scanner. The links that take you to the Easier To Read files are much better than Uniden puts out. Give you an idea, Uniden has had that model for a number of years yet they have never released any software to support it. The manual is confusing, particularly when the radio is really confusing. Freescan or Butel are about the same. Freescan has an Easygrab function that copies from the RR database very nice.

teufler

FREESCAN FILE

Here is a freescan file for luzerne county. You've got the cables, you can get the software for free, download my file, its zipped and it should get you going. The pa state 9600 star system, have no idea what that is. I am current in qrz.com

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are thinking of scanning the Pa Open Sky system, forget it - can't be done with any scanner.

Mike

teufler

Gee thats not fair. Here in missouri, things are pretty straightforward scanner. Nothing exotic, kansas city has some edac sytems, st louis is type ii motorola or p25.

captclint

Mentor
How do I get the frequencies to read out? I have the Butel ARC XT basic software for the BC 396 XT. Is there a way to do it from the keypad?
In ARC, select scanner, config editor. Read from scanner 1st, and then, Under general settings tab, select mode 2 and send back to scanner. Save config for future use.

brey1234

Banned
tnx

Thank u Capt!!!

One more question----I see there is a squelch postion---however when I go there and push down on the button---nothing happens---it just changes the channell----and then reads out: close call hits---nothing stored??????????????

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
From the "easier to read" manual referenced above,

'Press Func then press the scroll control to display the squelch level"... then rotate the knob to adjust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.