BC 780 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GKS

I have the 800 trunking frequencies loaded and all the talkgroups, but the scanner will only scan and stop on the frequencies only. It will not show any talkgroups. The program loaded the talkgroups in P1, P2, etc. but will not display them. Is something turned off? Suggestions please.

JoeyC

Do you have the TRUNK TYPE (in menu) set correctly?
If using CC only, do you have the correct plan set?

JoeyC

In order for trunking to work in the 780 you must:
1. Program the freqs in and set as trunked (push and hold TRUNK) until the Trunk TYPE TYPE you set shows on the screen above the first digit of the freq in the display.
2. Set the proper TRUNK TYPE in the menu
3 Set the proper PLAN if you are using CC only.
4. SCAN or SRCH in Trunking mode (TRUNK shows on display above 2nd and 3rd digits when you hit the TRUNK button.)

Last edited:

a29zuk

I haven't programmed my 780 in a while. But if I remember right you have to program both the bank plus each frequency to the type of system it is. In a little more simple form, I think that is what Joey C. is saying.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Make sure "TRUNK" is showing on the display below the channel number. If it's not, press "TRUNK" while the radio is scanning.

WatchSix

I am having trouble programing/scanning on my 780XLT. (I'm not the brightest bulb in the box), when it comes to electronics. I have reviewed the owners manual time after time after time, until I can't think straight, and I still can't get it to program right. Any advise.
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You haven't told us much of anything here- what system are you trying to program, and where are you? For the first item, float your mouse over Database which is in the blue toolbar under the site logo on the left, and follow the pulldowns. Supply the URL.

For your location, there's User CP. That's in the blue toolbar left under the thread title. Enter your location data (county/state is fine) under Your Profile and Edit Your Details.

Are you doing this by hand or software? If via software do you have a USB cable and drivers loaded? Which software are you using (I would recommend ProScan )?

73 Mike

WatchSix

Sorry I wan't more specific. I have all of the 800 freq's. from the Las Vegas area programed into the scanner, but I'm having problems programming in the sub catagories, such as North Las Vegas PD or Nevada HP. When I look at the book, it doesn't seem to be user/operator friendly. But as I said before, I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. I just trying to figure out how to program the sub directories. (Does that make sense?).
Mike

JoeyC

Sorry I wan't more specific. I have all of the 800 freq's. from the Las Vegas area programed into the scanner, but I'm having problems programming in the sub catagories, such as North Las Vegas PD or Nevada HP. When I look at the book, it doesn't seem to be user/operator friendly. But as I said before, I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. I just trying to figure out how to program the sub directories. (Does that make sense?).
Mike

By subdirectories I am assuming you are speaking of TGs in Lists.

Very simple to do. Once you have the freqs programmed and bank set appropriately as stated above, and the scanner is TRUNKING, just press MAN (to stop the scanning or searching) and rotate the VFO knob to the LIST position, type in the talkgroup ID and press E. Rotate the VFO and repeat. There are 10 lists and 10 positions within each list

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please review my answer and supply the URL of the database entry for the trunk system you are trying to program. This is vital information; folks can't give you appropriate answers without it.

If this is the system you are trying to program, the 780 cannot trunk it - it has been rebanded, and a scanner that is capable of following a system like this is required...

Nevada SNACC

73 Mike

Last edited:

WatchSix

Sorry, I'm not sure with what you mean by URL. I have programmed in the 800 MZ for the Las Vegas Area, and Nevada CHP, but I don't have the sub directories in there, (if thats what they are called). I don't have the owners manual/guide with me so I'm not really sure what I'm talking about. I was in law enforcement in California for 20 years, and any scanners that we used were programmed by our shop personnel. I've been listening to scanners for about 40 years, but nothing with tha trunk system. Therefore I have had to try and muddle my way throught it. I appriciate all advise and information you have given me so far.
Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<sigh> Those 2 items in blue are links - click on them and see where they take you. You will not be able to program everything that's shown there - it's physically not possible, for multiple reasons...

Let's step back a bit and get you educated. Go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad and float your mouse over Wiki, then click on Wiki Home. In that article, there are several links (all in blue) that I would suggest you read, in addition to what has been supplied before;

* Scanning 101
* Scanning Q&A
* Common Conventional Programming Questions
* Trunking Basics
* Common Trunking Programming Questions

and keep the Glossary link handy. It has definitions for virtually every term you will see used on this site. When you have digested these, and can answer precisely what you wish to program, folks here can then help you further. I would also suggest making yourself known on the Nevada forum and join the following Yahoo group, which is partially devoted to the LV area...

HiDesertScan : HiDesertScan "Scanning the High Deserts"

73 Mike

73 (best regards) Mike

N4GKS

I finally figured out that the scanner will not ID SCAN without a good signal. Therefore you cannot turn on the channels or check them. I got a good signal and I now have no problems. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.