BC-996t Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
timjude said:
I was poking around in the hidden menu and found a setting that says ANA ref gain.Can anyone tell me what this is for?
Analog Reference Gain. This parameter determines the reference level that the AGC attempts to adjust the volume to. If the digital/analog volume is not matched, adjust this parameter. Also take a look at
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/AGC

Dave

Last edited:

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Here is some additional info on the other AGC Tweaks in the hidden menu.

P25 RES TIME
Range: -8 to +8
This parameter determines how frequently the AGC factor updates. Decreasing this value makes AGC respond faster, but could result in "pumping". A higher value decreases the response time.

P25 REF GAIN
Range: -5 to +5
This parameter determines the reference level that AGC attempts to adjust the volume to. If digital/analog volume is not matched, adjust this parameter.

ANA RES TIME
Range: -8 to +8
This parameter determines how frequently the AGC factor updates. Decreasing this value makes AGC respond faster, but could result in "pumping". A higher value decreases the response time.

ANA REF GAIN
Range: -5 to +5
This parameter determines the reference level that AGC attempts to adjust the volume to. If digital/analog volume is not matched, adjust this parameter.

ANA GN RANGE
Range: 0 to 15
This parameter controls the total dynamic range of the AGC adjustments. A larger value allows a wider variation in volume.

Also see:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Digital_AGC_Tweak_Procedures

Dave

Last edited:

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Thank's a bunch had i known you could set the agc gain on the analog as well a long time ago i may not have bashed uniden so hard on the difference between the analog and the digital volume levels.And sold two prior scanners.I knew about the digital adjustments but had no clue i could do the same for the analog..What i had to do to get it level was adjust the analog gain to minus 5 and the digital gain to +5 now it sound's as good as any scanner i have even the psr-600 or very close.I think uniden should have been more open about these setting's and explain in detail how to taylor these settings without waiting to (Stumble across them)Three years later..I now can say i do like my new 996 for the first time these setting especially the analog gain did the trick and UNIDEN Explain these setting's in detail from now on..

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Do any of these digital/analog tweaks work on the 396 too?

I have both, but I am reluctant to try anything with the 396 (as it is my "main" radio) unless I know it worrks or won't screw up something else.

Maybe Paul can answer this when he has time. I would rather he get the new updates out there first, though.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
jkahn said:
I have both, but I am reluctant to try anything with the 396 (as it is my "main" radio) unless I know it worrks or won't screw up something else.

Maybe Paul can answer this when he has time. I would rather he get the new updates out there first, though.
They apply to both radios, so make a note of the original settings before you make any changes. You can then go back to the original settings if you want.
Dave

eraweeb

I have been trying to reset all those settings by following those instructions but it's just not working. I'm sure it's because it is almost impossible to follow those directions.

There are too many variables... "try this and if that doesn't work, try this", "sometimes it will do this and other times it might do that", etc. etc.

Is there anywhere else where this procedure is explained a little more simply for us idiots who have only been working with scanners for 40 years or so? Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
era, are you using software (and if so, which one) or doing this by hand (if this, are you using the 'Easier to Read' manual that's linked in the wiki)? This will help direct the answers to your questions ....73 Mike

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
ka3jjz said:
era, are you using software (and if so, which one) or doing this by hand (if this, are you using the 'Easier to Read' manual that's linked in the wiki)? This will help direct the answers to your questions ....73 Mike
Sorry, but I could't find the "AGC Tweak" procedure in either the 396 or the 996 easier to read manuals. The only place I can find it is in the Wiki link I posted previously.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Digital_AGC_Tweak_Procedures

Dave

Last edited:

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
eraweeb said:
I have been trying to reset all those settings by following those instructions but it's just not working. I'm sure it's because it is almost impossible to follow those directions.

There are too many variables... "try this and if that doesn't work, try this", "sometimes it will do this and other times it might do that", etc. etc.

Is there anywhere else where this procedure is explained a little more simply for us idiots who have only been working with scanners for 40 years or so? Thanks!
I am not aware of any other instructions for this procedure, but here is a clarification to the procedure that might help.

In step 5 of the first method, with the solid F. In order to adust the parameter value, the scroll knob must be rotated before the F indicator goes out. Rotating the scroll knob after the F goes out takes you to the next parameter.

Or, by pressing & holding the scroll knob until the F is flashing allows a longer time period to adjust the parameter (as long as the F remains flashing).

What I just said is basically the same thing that the "additional additional note" said in the procedure. I have not needed to use the second method of the procedure.

Try this a few times and play with it until you get the hang of it. It does work. My comments are based on performing this on a 996.

Dave

Last edited:

eraweeb

I'm using the ARC996 software and as far as I know there is no way to access those settings with it.

Is there another type of software that will?

eraweeb

Thanks Dave, your additional instructions should help. My major confusion was that when I would try to change a value, that value was not even available as I rotated the knob.

I'm thinking that maybe I waited too long to make the change.

I'll try it again, thanks!

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
eraweeb said:
I'm using the ARC996 software and as far as I know there is no way to access those settings with it.

Is there another type of software that will?
These AGC settings can only be accessed directly from the scanner as far as I know.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.