BCT15X: BC-GPSK cable connection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1087

Premium Subscriber
Good Evening All,

I recently bought a BCT15X along with the BC-GPSK, The BC-GPSK has what I believe is a PS-2 connector and I find no place to plug it into the scanner. It also includes a 9 pin cable on one end and a 4 pin USB on the other end, however that cable has a male 9 pin end on it. I did get a correct 9 pin to 4 pin USB cable with the scanner, but where does that connect? I am I missing something and/or did I get a defective unit. I am a bit confused here.

Thanks much,

Andrew

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 4 pin USB connects to the front and you need a serial to USB cable to connect serial end to the computer. They run about $35.

NO!!! That is a programming cable, not a GPS cable.

The PS2 connector is power and gps data. You should have a y-cable with a 12V plug, a PS2 plug, and a DB-9 plug. Plug the 12V into an outlet, the PS2 into the GPS, and the DB9 into the scanner if it has one. If not, the DB-9-to-4-pin adapter cable adapts the y-cable DB-9 to a mini serial (NOT USB) jack on the scanner.

Andy1087

Premium Subscriber
If I am using the GPS unit in my house what provides the power to the GPS unit? I was of the assumption that I would just plug the GPS to the scanner and I would work that way. That being said I was confused when I saw no round plug to plug it into on the scanner.

Thanks much,

Andrew

phask

Premium Subscriber
If I am using the GPS unit in my house what provides the power to the GPS unit? I was of the assumption that I would just plug the GPS to the scanner and I would work that way. That being said I was confused when I saw no round plug to plug it into on the scanner.

Thanks much,

Andrew
You would need a 12 volt converter - but WHY would you use a GPS in a fixed location?

Andy1087

Premium Subscriber
I see what you mean about using a GPS in a fixed location, I got it figured out now. LOL

Thanks much,

Andrew

JamesO

Note the GPS puck DOES NOT run on 12 Volts, I think it is like 3.5-5 Volts, you need the proper Y cable and lighter plug with the Voltage regulator otherwise you will have a dead GPS puck if it sees a full 12 Volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.