BC-RH96 remote head display

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD1SN

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a used remote head and 996XT scanner (separate sellers). In the remote head "settings" configuration there is an area to select the color of the display screen. It offers the same choices as the scanner itself. I have selected "white" (since my eyes need all the help they can get) but it never takes effect and always stays pale orange. The scanner has the same display configuration setup and I have been able to get that to work without a problem.

I have updated the remote head with the latest firmware and checked the scanner configuration to see if there was anything that needed to be set to allow the remote head to work as well. So far nothing worked.

As far as I can tell everything else with the scanner and the remote head work fine, it's just this one feature that's not working.

Anyone have an idea or similar experience? Thanks in advance.

Mark

JoeyC

The remote head does not support multiple color selections on the display. You get orange and that is IT!

Tazworld

Glad you said that JoeyC i was just wondering the same thing here about the display an colors.

JamesO

If you want a different color for the remote head, probably would have to swap out the backlight LED's?

Have not investigated this approach, but could probably be done.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
So I just picked up a remote head, to use with a bcd396xt, everything works great except! 1. When I turn off the remote head the scanner stays on? What am I supposed to do, climb under my seat every time to turn on and off? 2. The sound still comes out of the scanner? I thought the sound would come from the head unit? So I have to run an amplified speaker to the scanner itself?

I'm not sure I like this concept, if this is correct on what I'm asking?

Thank you!

Ps: might sell it, if that's the case!

Voyager

You can power it with your ignition, but if it's a BCD396XT, that's larger than the RH so what is the purpose? I would not keep a 396 under the seat.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
You can power it with your ignition, but if it's a BCD396XT, that's larger than the RH so what is the purpose? I would not keep a 396 under the seat.

The bcd396xt is larger then the remote head? Mine is about half the size of the remote head!

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
So I just picked up a remote head, to use with a bcd396xt, everything works great except! 1. When I turn off the remote head the scanner stays on? What am I supposed to do, climb under my seat every time to turn on and off? 2. The sound still comes out of the scanner? I thought the sound would come from the head unit? So I have to run an amplified speaker to the scanner itself?

Thank you!

Ps: might sell it, if that's the case!

The scanner has to be powered on or off at the scanner, the remote head can't control that. The remote head does not have a speaker either. It's still a very useful device, you just have to work with its limitations.

G

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Ok thank you sparklehousre for the helpful follow up.
I'm think I will sell this and just use a bcd536hp with an iPad mini instead.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Ok thank you sparklehousre for the helpful follow up.
I'm think I will sell this and just use a bcd536hp with an iPad mini instead.

Are you talking about controlling the 536 using the Siren app on the iPad? That's an option. You'll still need to address the speaker issue though, and I know some folks on these boards have suggested the 536 is not the best radio for mobile installations due increased problems with SD card corruption due to power being cut off by the ignition. So you might want to look into ways around that. Also if your 536 clock battery dies you'll have to reset the time on the radio every time you power up it up. That might be easier since this last firmware upgrade, but I think you'd still need to interact with the scanner every time you power it up. You can't input clock info from Siren, not yet anyway.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The sound still comes out of the scanner? I thought the sound would come from the head unit? So I have to run an amplified speaker to the scanner itself?

The RH does not have its own speaker, thus the sound comes from the scanner speaker.

You probably could get an amplified speaker and connect the power wire to an ignition sense circuit. That way if the vehicle is off, no power to the speaker and no sound.

On using the 536 in a vehicle, I've done it for over a year with no issues and it is on a key circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.