SDS100/SDS200: BC-SGPS GPS & SDS-100 How to Use Together...

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'm going to chew on this a bit and see if I can get this wrap around my head. The thing about the squares eludes me still, but I will read on.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
So you're saying that in my example for Rock Springs Wyoming, the radio would actually be scanning a 30 mile radius?

NO!
Edit the Favorite List containing Rock Springs (the star with the pencil) icon.
Go to Rock Springs and click the location tab.
What does THAT range say?
Add it to the 20 you have in your screen print.
THAT is the radius you are scanning.

The Rock Springs lat/long and range in your screenprint is ONLY a saved GPS 'copy' for this tab.
See the append / recall / remove buttons?

You have to go to the actual Rock Springs data in a favorite list to see what it actually is.

Good question for the group?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but (fav list edit) is the only way to actually see the site/depts lat/long//range in the Sentinel data?

Or, probably use ProScan...

Last edited:

RMason

Premium Subscriber
You may find this useful

sfb88

Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I think that scanning range may be usefully visualized by thinking of the scanner profile range and the department and site ranges like a Venn diagram. The department and site ranges don't actually change the scanner profile range. It is just that if the scanner profile range circle overlaps the department or site circle, they intersect, the scanner will attempt to receive that signal.

BTW, if you look at departments and sites in the favorites list editor in Sentinel, on the Location tab you will find a Location Type drop down. This provides the choice of circle or rectangles.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I think that scanning range may be usefully visualized by thinking of the scanner profile range and the department and site ranges like a Venn diagram. The department and site ranges don't actually change the scanner profile range. It is just that if the scanner profile range circle overlaps the department or site circle, they intersect, the scanner will attempt to receive that signal.

BTW, if you look at departments and sites in the favorites list editor in Sentinel, on the Location tab you will find a Location Type drop down. This provides the choice of circle or rectangles.

I think this is way more confusing to our OP.
It is simply additive.

If object in question's location info is set to circles and the range is 20, it is a 20 mile radius PLUS the profile range from the current GPS coordinates. If profile range is 0, the circle's radius 20. If profile is 5, it's 25, etc, etc...

If an object's location is set to rectangle, there is no range setting at all in it's location info. It simple switches at whatever distance the profile range is set to from the border of the bounding box. Set to 0, it switches exactly at the border. Set at 5 it switches 5 miles before the bounding box's border...

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'm going to chew on this a bit and see if I can get this wrap around my head. The thing about the squares eludes me still, but I will read on.
It's really very simple. Grab a map. Put a point on I-80 near Rock Springs. Draw a circle around your point on i-80 that matches the Range you have set in the scanner. Now, locate the location of Rock Springs transmitter location. Draw a 20 mile circle around that site.

Do the car circle and transmitter circle touch or overlap anywhere? If so, your sds100 will TRY to receive transmissions from that Rock Springs tower. If it gets a signal, the scanner will try to receive the audio. If the car and transmitter circles on the map don't touch, the scanner won't even tune that channel.

The rectangle vs circle makes no difference other than the point where the car "area" and the "transmitter" area may or may not touch each other.

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
You all are great! I had to take a break and clear my head a bit, but I think I understand. However, now I'm messing with the new shortwave radio and getting confused with that. 😁