BC125AT - 1.05.01 latest firmware - any updated info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan125

I have to state that I'm a UK bod with a UBC125XLT scanner, a country regional derivative of the base BC125AT model and for the UBC125XLT there is zero support, firmware updates, etc. Not sure how the Australian/New Zealand with their BC126 models or how the Albrecht licensed clones fair in general and firmware support.

From what I have seen and experienced then the Uniden brand and support is a lottery depending on where on the planet you are located.
Needless to say other companies (no names mentioned) are 100% on the ball in all world wide regions.

To be clear I'll just add I think my Uniden UBC125XLT scanner is a great bit of kit that works well. But if it has issues then I think it will be a "bin" job and next time round look at more world wide professional companies.

questnz

There are no upgrades/updates for UBC126AT Aus/NZ version. Still on the original release

Phixnman

Premium Subscriber
Just wanting to chime in also. I am interested in the BC125AT firmware update. Accidentally changed the firmware down to the 1.03.1 from the 1.04.1 when using the firmware update tool. I am just looking for guidance that I have updated the system so as to get the best performance from the BC125AT. Anyone have any solution?

Scan125

Well I took a look at the the BC_VUP update ftp directory and for the BC125AT the last entry version was 1.03 dated back to 2012. This means/ suggests to me that Uniden do not care about existing BC125AT owners any more and versions 1.04 and 1.05 are "manufacturing only" firmware versions.

Sad. Don't think I'll ever by a Uniden product again. Seems to be a design it, build it, ship it and walk away operation after a couple of years. Get/force the customer to buy a new model instead.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's possible the minor changes in firmware could be related to the manufacture date of the scanner. They may have made changes to support component changes in later manufacturing. Those of you with what appears to be newer or later generation firmware are you observing and changes in function or performance? Newer doesn't always mean better.

questnz

Possible that Uniden doesn't think there is any need for future upgrades for a simple analog scanner? Scanner work as expected I assume.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A new BC125AT arrived today (November 21, 2020) and the firmware is 1.06.05. I do not see a date of manufacture on it, but based on the firmware my guess is that it is a newer/later model. At this point (years since release) I'm figuring it works as advertised and I do not expect/need any firmware updates.

Initial testing of sensitivity/selectivity is pretty good, almost as good as my Icom R30 using the same cable to the antenna. I'm pleased with the BC125AT result.

Last edited:

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Why do we have to find out about firmware updates this way? The radioreference membership is a very large part of the clients in the scanner community, Uniden could at least post firmware updates!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Probably no update from Uniden because the firmware for my new scanner may be for different hardware. Basically, if the scanner works as advertised, why would one need a firmware update? Other than possibly some newer parts, I don't think my scanner has improved functionality versus one sold a few years ago.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
A new BC125AT arrived today (November 21, 2020) and the firmware is 1.06.05. I do not see a date of manufacture on it, but based on the firmware my guess is that it is a newer/later model. At this point (years since release) I'm figuring it works as advertised and I do not expect/need any firmware updates.

Initial testing of sensitivity/selectivity is pretty good, almost as good as my Icom R30 using the same cable to the antenna. I'm pleased with the BC125AT result.
There’s a thread here in RR that talked about an engineering change that was granted by the FCC, and the firmware version you got might be the result of that change.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that. It is interesting and it makes sense. Looks like some hardware and PCB change based on the documents. The makes sense part is that Amazon was out of stock for a while. It becomes more clear when my serial number indicates that it is a 2020 model made in Vietnam and about number 2000 from that production run.

I used the RR Wiki to figure the serial number stuff out. Still, I don't really know if it was made earlier this year, or later after the change. Based on my firmware though and what others posted earlier, I will guess it is the latest version. Anyways I get free HBO now, so maybe it was upgraded.

UPDATE: The first four characters on mine are 370A, which the Wiki notes is typically a change from an older version 370Z.

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
While we were filling the void left by UPMan's passing, some things fell through the cracks. This was one. The BC125AT TWIKI and BC_VUP3 have now been updated and everyone can update to the latest version of BC125AT firmware. Also, ONLY the most recent version of firmware now shows in the BC_VUP software.

Note that v1.04.02 only made a minor change (no new features), v1.05.01 was only released to accommodate updated hardware (again, no new features), and v1.06.05 is another housekeeping version to accommodate revised hardware. So if you had 1.03.01 you will not realize any benefit aside from the version showing the latest.

Please forgive us while we recover from the scanner world's recent loss.

Other TWIKI pages and models are being reviewed to make sure they are likewise up to date.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Can you give a description of how you did the update, trying to move from 1.04 to 1.06 with no results. Using Windows. 7

Thank you for the firmware update!! It worked like a charm. Best regards

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

Scan125

An update I think you need to make to the BC_VUP software is the ability to SAVE your existing firmware before one attempts to upgrade/downgrade.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
I may be jumping the gun a little, as I've been waiting for the formal "Okie Dokie" from management on this, but try these pages: (images may be made a little smaller in the future for lower res displays)

Hi JoeBearcat, I finally got some free time and I did the update following the instructions you provided! Thank you all went well, you may want to caution folks to do a backup first because all the information gets erased.
Looking forward to having someone like you helping with our Uniden Scanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.