BC125AT Full Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1955

Happy holidays everyone. I own the Uniden Bearcat BC125AT and just purchased Powerex (2)AA 2,700Mah rechargeable batteries however, I'm unable to change the charge time required for these batteries. The ones that come with it are 2,300 mah. Does anyone know about this? I brought up the menu by doing function and enter to change charging time. but it wouldn't go above 14 hours. HELP!!
Bob

Bob1955

I ended up returning mine. The VHF sensitivity was poor. I couldn't even receive the weather service. Their signal is weak in my area, but not being able to receive it all, was really disappointing. I even swapped out the stock antenna for a Diamond RH77CA.

In addition to that, the coverage for MilAir was not complete. Not sure why Uniden did that.
iMonitor-You must of had a defective BC125AT as mine is GREAT running off a Diamond RH77CA. Actually, comparing it to the Bearcat 436HP, it has MUCH better audio and sensitivity on VHF/UHF. The P-25 is great, that I must say on my friends scanner.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Bob955,

I have a BC125AT and according to the manual and the charging menu, the max charging time is 14 hours.

In addition to the batteries that came with the scanner I have additional 2800 mAh AA's that I charge with an EBL charger, this way I don't have to wait 14 hours to charge the batteries using the USB cable.

So far I am very pleased with this scanner, no downside as far as performance and reception. Sensitivity is excellent, but the antenna you use has a prodigious effect on what you'll be able to receive.

Scan125

Regarding charge time then I would add the following:

The 125/126 series of scanners battery charge based on the adjustable hour timer and will continue to charge for the full duration of the timer. If you then unplug the USB cable and plug it in again another full charging period will occur even though your batteries are fully charged. This over time can lead to battery failures/issues especially if you use/control your scanner from a PC.

Also If you have a simple multimeter available I would measure the charge current that the BC125AT charges the cells at. You can then work out how long (in theory) it will take to fully change any given cell capacity. You may find that for your larger cells the full 14 hours is not required.

Lastly if you press the scroll/volume knob down the current battery voltage will be displayed. Alternatively you can use my free Scan125 Control Program (see my signature for link) to monitor the state of charge of the batteries.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Any reason why you folks chose the 125 over the 330 besides price? Am still looking for a air band scanner and stuck trying to decide. My 436 is doing ok for now.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Any reason why you folks chose the 125 over the 330 besides price? Am still looking for a air band scanner and stuck trying to decide. My 436 is doing ok for now.

Price was the main factor, plus I wanted to stay with a simple rudimentary scanner for local analog comms. I gotta say, another thing is that the 330 also includes HF and shortwave, which I think is great, but I saw myself attaching it to all kinds of antennas and grading it against my tabletop shortwave radio, making comparisons, etc. Been there and done that many many times. Being in this hobby for 60 years, I know myself well enough hi hi.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
There are many users of the BC125AT that give good reviews of this scanner for it's performance on the AM air band spectrum, and the accolades are very much deserved. But, it doesn't end there. This scanner is an excellent vhf/uhf receiver for all purposes, and it is a must-have when I am out and about locally or traveling long distances. My 3-radio lineup (for scanning) is the SDS100, TRX-1, and the BC125AT when I am mobile, and the 125AT is an outstanding performer in all areas of vhf/uhf monitoring. I love the fact that the Alpha tags are easy to read, and the sensitivity is great. I have 4 banks programmed with air band freqs including milair and airport ground stuff, and I devote other banks to stuff like FRS/GMRS, business itinerary radios, and med coms. I would highly recommend the BC125AT and in a rating level of 1-10 I would instantly give it a 10+. Just my 2 cents :)

JD
kf4anc

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I decided to go with the R30. Does what all 3 of your scanners do in one radio. Not knocking your setup but I didn’t want to lug around multiple radios. So far, the R30 has exceeded my expectations. Enough to put my 436 up for sale, which wasn’t originally planned.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Nope does not trunktrack.But as long as you are enjoying it that is all that matters.

Great point there, and well said. As long as you enjoy it, that is all that matters. I happen to enjoy backpacking my radios and cameras and other odds n' ends on a camping or fishing trip. And, I'll add my Yaesu FT2DR to that bunch! There is no such thing as too many radios

JD
kf4anc

Xray

My sentiments exactly oracavon, thanks.
Bearcats own site makes no reference to this freq clipping, saying only " You can listen to both civilian and military bands," Uniden Bearcat Handheld Mobile Scanner Product Even clicking the specs tab gives no clue, I suppose one would have to comb through the owners manual. I got mine on amazon, where it says "Includes Both Civil & Military Aircraft Bands!" Amazon.com: Uniden Bearcat 500 Channel Alpha Numeric Hand Held Radio Scanner with CTCSS and DCS (BC125AT): Electronics [Yes, my review there will be coming shortly, with a max of 3 stars assuming it performs good].

To a casual listener, they probably would not even know whats missing, to a hard core aviation nut, a glaring omission. Tough to see why they clipped it like that, hell my decades old Pro 43 runs the band properly from 225-512 mhz. Why clip coverage at 380, why not 375 or 390, seems a bit arbitrary and unknowledgeable especially coming from a renowned, long time producer of radio receiving equipment.
I'd like to know the reason, couldn't be a cost cutting measure. I get people all the time at shows, amazed that I am hearing military comms and asking what scanner I recommend. This one, assuming good performance, would have been a no brainer at this price point to recommend, now I'd recommend that they ebay a Pro 43 instead due to this bizarre gap.
Almost as though someone there thought "Ok, this is a budget scanner, so we'll give them budget freqs - Those hard core aviation nuts who need the whole band can just go out and buy a 346XTC at twice the price !"

My fault, I should have dug deeper into specs before clicking, I'm an impulsive buyer. I read it covers milair and that was all I needed to hear, I know better now.

Was trying to program scanner for an upcoming airshow, would not accept 384.550 Viper Demo discrete - It is hobbled. Guess I'll have to use my ancient [and unhobbled] pro 2006 to monitor that freq.

N8IAA

Was trying to program scanner for an upcoming airshow, would not accept 384.550 Viper Demo discrete - It is hobbled. Guess I'll have to use my ancient [and unhobbled] pro 2006 to monitor that freq.

The only fubar of that scanner. They figured since there were military trunk systems in the 380-400 MHz not to include that area for milair scanning. Product management must of had a brain freeze.:eek:

Xray

The only fubar of that scanner. They figured since there were military trunk systems in the 380-400 MHz not to include that area for milair scanning. Product management must of had a brain freeze.:eek:

Could unfreeze it with a software update, last one was in 2012 so this scanner is basically abandoned.

Bob1955

Don't COMPLAIN about this handheld scanner. It runs great as I owned one prior to selling it. It does eat batteries within 5 hours with the included ones. It also takes about 14 hours to fully recharge the batteries too-ridiculous on Uniden's part. Your best off buying a rapid rate charger and removing the batteries from the scanner.
I also own a BaoFeng GT-5TP which is a handheld transceiver that will receive VHF/UHF and has dual watch, comes with a rapid rate desktop charger and half the price of the Bearcat BC-125 AT HOWEVER, no low band. The audio/sensitivity is MUCH better too and charges in 4 hours! You can also monitor police/fire/marine/aircraft too. You can private message me for more information on scanners as I have been in this hobby since 1973. I also have a Bearcat BCD-996P2 on the way to me which is a base/mobile analog/digital scanner with P-25 Phase 1/2.
Have a nice Sunday.

Xray

Don't COMPLAIN about this handheld scanner. It runs great as I owned one prior to selling it. It does eat batteries within 5 hours with the included ones. It also takes about 14 hours to fully recharge the batteries too-ridiculous on Uniden's part. Your best off buying a rapid rate charger and removing the batteries from the scanner.
I also own a BaoFeng GT-5TP which is a handheld transceiver that will receive VHF/UHF and has dual watch, comes with a rapid rate desktop charger and half the price of the Bearcat BC-125 AT HOWEVER, no low band. The audio/sensitivity is MUCH better too and charges in 4 hours! You can also monitor police/fire/marine/aircraft too. You can private message me for more information on scanners as I have been in this hobby since 1973. I also have a Bearcat BCD-996P2 on the way to me which is a base/mobile analog/digital scanner with P-25 Phase 1/2.
Have a nice Sunday.

Lol scuze me but I can complain if I want to. It is a fine scanner, would be a 5 star handheld easily were it not HOBBLED by non standard, clipped military frequencies.

Scanner you mentioned does not cover the military UHF band so would be of no interest to me. I guess I assumed you read through earlier posts in this thread apparently you did not - That is my 1 and only complaint, coverage stopped at 380 mhz instead of 400 like almost every other scanner with mil air does, and like BC125 which they sell in Australia does.

questnz

I am still puzzled why some dudes charging batteries in the radio, man o man. Just get decent charger with some logic,
I always consider radio charging capabilities to is there to charge radio in the vehicle, but not use as a main battery charger. But hey, everybody have different opinions about that. Obvious Maha or La Crosse chargers are cream of the cream but I have been also using Panasonic BQ-CC55 it comes with 4 Enelopes and take care of charging at cheap cost. Charger charging batteries individually so you no need to insert full set of 4. It DOES do the job. I have about 4 sets of 4 Enelopes Pro to rotate them with various radios, soon as one set is discharged I charge and store for next usage, simple. PS. Aus/NZ UBC126AT cover full Mil Air frequencies, but do you really missing that much at 380 MHz cut of of US version, not so sure ?

Xray

I am still puzzled why some dudes charging batteries in the radio, man o man. Just get decent charger with some logic,
I always consider radio charging capabilities to is there to charge radio in the vehicle, but not use as a main battery charger. But hey, everybody have different opinions about that. Obvious Maha or La Crosse chargers are cream of the cream but I have been also using Panasonic BQ-CC55 it comes with 4 Enelopes and take care of charging at cheap cost. Charger charging batteries individually so you no need to insert full set of 4. It DOES do the job. I have about 4 sets of 4 Enelopes Pro to rotate them with various radios, soon as one set is discharged I charge and store for next usage, simple. PS. Aus/NZ UBC126AT cover full Mil Air frequencies, but do you really missing that much at 380 MHz cut of of US version, not so sure ?

See post #94, yes I just missed one this weekend at an airshow. Maybe you cannot conceive how that could be a big deal, if you were a military air nut like me and went to alot of airshows and hang out by military bases, its a huge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.