BC125AT - How do I know if I need NFM? + Charging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwnut13

Been playing around with my new BC125AT. I have all of the channels modulation set to AUTO, and they are all showing up as NFM.

Here is a list of the main channels that I am scanning.

Is there any way to know what the channels should be set on?

Also, do the batteries really keep on charging even if they are full? As far as I know, my old BC95XLT will automatically shut off the charger when the batteries are full (the battery logo goes off). I often leave the scanner plugged in and on all night long.

From what I can tell the BC125AT will charge for 14 hours when you plug it in even if the batteries are already full. I live to have my scanners plugged in when I have an available power source (in the car and at home) so the batteries will be charged when I need it and don't have a power source.

Now I'm scared of plugging it in when the battery light isn't flashing, because I don't want to overcharge the batteries.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
VHF/UHF Public Safety and Business (excluding paging) are required to have converted their systems to NFM as of 1/1/2013. There may be some agencies operating FM, but only either by special permission until they can convert or without permission, until they get caught. :)

No scanner can detect the charge state of NiMH or NiCd batteries. They all charge them for a timed duration (including the BC95XLT).

vwnut13

VHF/UHF Public Safety and Business (excluding paging) are required to have converted their systems to NFM as of 1/1/2013. There may be some agencies operating FM, but only either by special permission until they can convert or without permission, until they get caught. :)

Ok, that makes sense. I'm a radio frequency novice and didn't know how narrowbanding would affect the frequencies I listen to.

I will say, the BC125AT is much louder, and I am picking up state police (460.300) much clearer than with the BC95XLT. I'll assume some of it has to do with narrowbanding, and some of it has to do with new technology.

No scanner can detect the charge state of NiMH or NiCd batteries. They all charge them for a timed duration (including the BC95XLT).

Huh, I was convinced that the BC95XLT would shut off the charger. I guess not!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On the BC95XLT, since it is demodulating using FM instead of NFM, the signal is going to sound about 1/2 as loud.

dmg1969

I noticed a volume difference between FM and NFM also on my 125AT. I have a neighboring county's UHF EMS frequency, which is not NFM. They have another UHF frequency up and running to be NFM compliant. They are running both for now and the new NFM frequency is noticeably quieter. As far as charging, I use mine mainly in the vehicle and to take outside while I am smoking if there is anything going on. In the vehicle, I usually always have it plugged in. Occasionally, I will let it run on battery to let them discharge a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vwnut13

Another potentially silly question.

Is there any need to use CTCSS/DCS when you are in an are where there is no potential for overlap?

I know that CTCSS/DCS will come in handy when I am traveling because there are several agencies in the state that use the same frequencies. Without the CTCSS/DCS I'm not going to get an accurate alpha tag when traveling, and I might here some overlap.

However, when at home I only have about 15 frequencies running through the scanner. Will CTCSS/DCS potentially cut out some static? Are there any downsides to using the tones?

captclint

Mentor
However, when at home I only have about 15 frequencies running through the scanner. Will CTCSS/DCS potentially cut out some static? Are there any downsides to using the tones?
It can cut down on adjacent channel "splash", intermod, and static on, or adjacent to your freq. Some claim it takes too long to decode, missing 1st sec or two, but I have not found this to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.