BC125AT New Scanner Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Paul, very interesting. What is the size? What kind of beltclip? AM/FM programmable in the UHF milair frequencies?
TIA,
Larry

OCO

Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of having priority channels/having priority enabled in the first place? Maybe I'm missing something, but if the scanner is locked up on a non-priority channel, and DND prevents it from interrupting to check the priority channels, then it's the exact same behavior as having priority disabled. What am I missing? :confused:

I read your post and actually started laughing - I couldn't grasp the logic of an "anti-priority priority" either. I finally figured out that if you've got very long scan lists, it'll hit your priority channel on a regular basis... either that or we now are seeing a scanner with the first anti-matter logic....:lol:

I think Paul's got Uniden on a retro kick - new CB radios and conventional mode scanners (and I hope everyone noticed he wasn't fibbing - he said no new digital radios.....)

Now -when's the next announcement(s), Paul ???

mws72

Premium Subscriber
A while back I was daydreaming about an airshow/milcom handheld. I was thinking a BC246 form with only 25-88, 108-144 and 225-420 MHz and about 100 channels with closecall. This one looks good. I wish low band was 25-88 MHz.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
So is this a airband geared scanner?

Last edited:

thomast77

Looks interesting. I agree with Milcom_Chaser though. If it is geared towards Airshows then you would think they should include the entire band. However if the price is right somewhere around $100. Then I can see some other uses for it. I am curious what the dimensions are. I am going to guess maybe a tad larger than the bc95xlt.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
New airband scanner

This is exactly what GRE owners need (Myself included) to enjoy the aircraft bands in a handheld. It's no secret the GRE's are not great on aircraft and milair bands. Or so goes the argument they are front end overloaded etc. etc. The GRE scanners are good at everything else IMHO so this little Uniden will take care of the airbands for me. I'll buy one.

N1GJB

Let me start off by saying that despite my choice of a username, I do not work for Uniden, nor do I have exclusively Uniden radios that I use (though the vast majority are). Now that that's out of the way, let me say the following: While I am in the market for a no-frills alpha tag and CTCSS/DCS capable portable to carry at work, the lack of 800mhz (conventional or trunked) is puzzling. While this isn't a huge inconvenience to me (most of the agencies around here are vhf/uhf conventional anyway), this does make me lean towards GRE for my next purchase. Anybody in the know care to elaborate on why this entire band was excluded?

Tom_G

Nice looking radio.
Maybe its the look of things to come!

I can see this being a nice little airband radio especially if it has some good audio power.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
While there are a few conventional channels in 800 MHz, the vast majority are trunked. Adding trunked is a "non-trivial" change and would result in a significantly higher cost...basically it would be a BC346XT, and we already have one of those. What is missing from the market is a full-featured conventional scanner with alpha tagging (AT).

Since 380-400 is primarily trunked and primarily digital (actually, according to the military's current frequency plan, there should be no air traffic in 380-400), the need to lose this segment for other considerations was acceptable (since in practical use, it is eliminating a band in which there is nothing to hear with an analog, non-trunked scanner).

Size is about the same as a BC246T. Belt clip is the same screw-on type as the 246, too.

DND on priority is an option (you can choose to use full priority). The #1 or #2 question on scanners with priority is "why does the audio drop out every 2 seconds?". This allows a second-tier priority that checks the priority channels without interrupting active reception. Since most radio exchanges involve 3-4 second transmissions, delaying until the end of a transmission to check for priority activity is an option we think many users will appreciate.

We believe that this scanner will be perfect for events of all kinds. Air shows, auto racing, boat racing, hot-air balloon festivals...these kinds of events very seldom use trunked systems, but until now you've had to pay the extra $ for a trunked scanner in order to get a scanner that provided alpha tagging. We believe that this will sell for significantly less than the SC230, but a bit more than the BC95XLTB that it is essentially replacing in the line.

Plus with AM/FM and NFM, it is ready for all the conventional channels that are heading toward narrowbanding by the 2013 deadline.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
While there are a few conventional channels in 800 MHz, the vast majority are trunked. Adding trunked is a "non-trivial" change and would result in a significantly higher cost...basically it would be a BC346XT, and we already have one of those. What is missing from the market is a full-featured conventional scanner with alpha tagging (AT).

Except that the BC346XT doesn't cover MilAir. Which means Uniden still does not have a handheld, analog, trunk tracking scanner that also covers MilAir. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BR330T was the last (and to my knowledge only) handheld that fit that bill, yes?

DND on priority is an option (you can choose to use full priority). The #1 or #2 question on scanners with priority is "why does the audio drop out every 2 seconds?". This allows a second-tier priority that checks the priority channels without interrupting active reception. Since most radio exchanges involve 3-4 second transmissions, delaying until the end of a transmission to check for priority activity is an option we think many users will appreciate.

I don't mean to pick nits, but that statement in bold red font is a bit misleading. Stating that it "checks the priority channels without interrupting active reception" makes it sound like the scanner is monitoring the priority channels in the background while an active transmission is taking place on a non-priority channel. In fact the scanner is suspending priority checks altogether when it's in the PRI DND mode, correct?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I think that you are correct that the BR330T was the last analog trunker with mil-air coverage. Maybe someday we'll make something else like it (but don't take that comment as any sort of indication of anything other than a theoretical possibility), but it would be priced higher than a analog trunker w/o military air (and a lot higher than the BC125AT).

In the context of the entire paragraph, I thought that the meaning would be clear...it checks the priority channels after an active transmission ends.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The 330T was a fantastic scanner, it's a shame it's no longer produced. It would've been nice to have seen a 330XT, but I'm sure the cost of the unit coupled with low sales made it impractical to keep producing, much less to have released an updated version.

I understood the meaning of PRI DND as soon as I read this thread yesterday, however I felt it was worth discussing a bit more given that it's a new feature and there will be people who won't fully understand how it works. Just playing a bit of devil's advocate, sorry if it came across as busting chops.

Status
Not open for further replies.