BC125AT New Scanner Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I am sure alot of people are waiting for that but not everybody and i think this thread is about the BC125AT if is not your cup of tea thats fine.When they decide to release info about a new digital or analog scanner to replace the current models or so on and so forth i am almost positive their will be a thread for that and almost everyone will be happy.
Ok....where's the competition for the PSR-800? We're all waiting for that! Not this thing.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am sure alot of people are waiting for that but not everybody and i think this thread is about the BC125AT if is not your cup of tea thats fine.When they decide to release info about a new digital or analog scanner to replace the current models or so on and so forth i am almost positive their will be a thread for that and almost everyone will be happy.

+1 Million.

To some around here please stop the whining. No this is not a scanner that will do any type of trunking. No this scanner is not in the same category as an XT. No this is not in the category of the HomePatrol. No this not a replacement or a competitor to any other
receiver on the market. UPMan explained what the target market is for this scanner and scanners are only manufactured if Uniden (or GRE) is sure they can recoup the costs of R&D, marketing, etc. This will be a good low cost solution for those not interested in the other types of radios. Being a big aviation buff I meet pilots all of the time that would love to purchase a low cost scanner that covers Aircraft. They don't need trunking, only aviation.
Just be happy that in this tough global economy both GRE & Uniden care enough about the hobby to continue to develop radios at all price points with a variety of feature sets.
Thanks and Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

scannersnstuff

not rehashing what's already been said. but my sentiment's exactly. seem's like a nice little adjunct scanner. seem's like something i would carry around/throw in the car. look's like it would make a nice little companion to my vx-6r.

N8IAA

Thank you, Paul, for your reply to my question. And thank you Marshall for your reply to those that must eat sour grapes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner:lol: I've waited a long time for a scanner such as the 125. Thank you Uniden.
Larry

bigt512

I would love to try this radio at the RF heavy Chicago air and water show. If the price was on the low end i would get one. It would go nicely with my bcd396xt and my br330t which are both in heavy use. I know that it is cheaper to have it use banks but after getting used to the new way of programing radios some people may get confused if they have both types.

captncarp

HooRay, HooRay for Uniden......someone finally decided to make a basic scanner with Text Tags included.
A basic option that has sadly been lacking.
GRE gets scooped again.
If the price is right and it has good loud volume it will become a favorite of Volunteer's and us ol' folks who just like to know who is talking.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
HooRay, HooRay for Uniden......someone finally decided to make a basic scanner with Text Tags included.
A basic option that has sadly been lacking.
GRE gets scooped again.

Actually, the RS Pro-137 was a basic scanner that had alpha tags. It was manufactured by Uniden, which was readily apparent given the fact that it used basically the same housing design as the rest of their modern handhelds. It was a great little scanner which surprisingly Uniden never came out with their own version of.

Pro-137 - The RadioReference Wiki

captncarp

Yes the PRO-137 was a great scanner, But had a very short production life and RS stores unloaded them at much reduced prices to clear them out. About two years and they were gone.
At the time I picked up two and programed them for vol. firemen friends. They really liked the Text Tags.
I think the BC125AT is going to have a much longer production life in the Uniden lineup.

hfxChris

Database Admin
I love my Pro-137, I picked it up when they were going real cheap a few years back. It's my primary air band scanner when I'm at the airport. The lack of mil air never really bothered me, because I mostly stalk civil airports, and the military airport here doesn't use mil air a whole lot.

That being said I would love to replace it with something like this, if the price is right. I don't use my Pro-137 for just aero, also marine and rail.

But... banks? I thought we were finally going to see the end of banks. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I just find it an interesting design decision.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Paul;
One reason I have never really considered using scanners for serious air monitoring, though I am an avid civil air fan, is the lack of serious audio in the AM band. For example, one Yaesu brand air band radio I like, has 800 milliamps of audio punch! Most scanners don't even have 1/2 that much. This makes them tough to listen to in an active airshow environment without headphones which I hate to use. Has this issue been addressed on the BC125AT since it seems geared for this band? BTW-I am available for beta testing!..........

Manny

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

uniden hh's have alway's had piss poor audio. don't expect it to be louder than a def leopard concert. gre's have pretty decent audio punch,but the hiss is a pain. if the audio is about the same,or better than the bc246t, it will be alright.
i still will most probably end up getting one,dependingon the review's.

Last edited by a moderator:

derevs

Of all components in a scanner the audio uses the most power. The higher the wattage the quicker the batteries run down.
So you can either have longer battery life OR higher audio output and consequently a larger speaker and larger scanner. Of course you could make up the for a higher audio output by adding more batteries. Again a larger scanner.

Which would you like?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Of all components in a scanner the audio uses the most power. The higher the wattage the quicker the batteries run down.
So you can either have longer battery life OR higher audio output and consequently a larger speaker and larger scanner. Of course you could make up the for a higher audio output by adding more batteries. Again a larger scanner.

Which would you like?

Or just use headphones/earpiece so the audio amp doesn't have to drive the larger speaker at a higher volume. :wink:

milcom_chaser

Audio

In my years of attending airshows, I learned early on that trying to listen to the Aerial Demonstration teams; Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, Snowbirds, or the F-22 raptor (which is 100x louder than a Aerosmith concert) without a set of race crew pit headsets was futile indeed...

Racing Headsets Racing Headset Racing Headphones Scanner Headphones Radio Headset Radio Headsets Racing Intercoms Racing Intercom Scanner Headset Racing Radios

I bring 2 to show to share the experience with others.

It's a trade off between battery life and audio output as we all understand...

Squad10

Does it have an audio high pass filter to eliminate the annoying "sub-audible" hum?

milcom_chaser

RH-96 Compatible?

Paul,

Will there be a firmware upgrade to the RH-96 Control head to reflect this new radio?

I'm guessing Uniden is using the same menu formatting/layout for this new radio as in the 346/396/996XT series, so perhaps it will work seemlessly with the control head without a need for a firmware change.

This would be a consideration for some who travel, also, since it covers all the Public Service Bands.

Let me know your thoughts around this, and what's possible.

Thanks again,

-Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.