BC125AT on sale $80.95

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

On Amazon the Uniden BC125AT is on sale for $80.95, probably the lowest price I've ever seen for this neat handheld analog scanner. It offers 500 channels, CTCSS / DCS decoding, military air band, and a large alphanumeric display. Plus, the programming cable and software are included.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
It is up to $89.95 now. Too bad.

Back in October 2015 I bought one for $84.60 on Amazon. In 2013 I bought one for $110. It's coming down in price. That's good. The BC125AT is an excellent scanner for the money.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
If you're gonna get this scanner get the Euro version - it includes 800 mhz to start, something stupidly left off of the US version. Picked one up used, MINT from eBay for $60.00 last year.

Scan125

Nice to see the price coming down.

When used with Scan125 Software (free) you get a really good setup for both "Base Station/Home" use and preparation/setup for "out and about" use.

SOFA_KING

I would jump on a BC125AT if it had Fire Tone-Out, but it doesn't.

It does have Priority DND, unlike my more expensive BCD325P2. Go figure!

I'd get the DMR upgrade for my 325P2 if it had Priority DND. I can't understand why these features aren't more standard across similar models...especially a higher-end piece like the 325P2.

So, sorry...NO SALE (X2).

Phil

Scan125

I'm not a scanner expert but am certainly a well experienced tech user etc. etc. and as we all know their is never one bit of kit that does everything we would ever want, except possibly in the $10,000 price range.

But yes it is amazing and annoying that product A at $100 dollars does function A, B & C and product B at $200 does A, C, D & E. So you look further to spend more $ to find B,C,D,E and F but no A.

Is this why I see so many people's signatures containing multiple owned scanner models?????

SOFA_KING

I'm not a scanner expert but am certainly a well experienced tech user etc. etc. and as we all know their is never one bit of kit that does everything we would ever want, except possibly in the $10,000 price range.

But yes it is amazing and annoying that product A at $100 dollars does function A, B & C and product B at $200 does A, C, D & E. So you look further to spend more $ to find B,C,D,E and F but no A.

Is this why I see so many people's signatures containing multiple owned scanner models?????

Very good point, except the $10,000 all-in-one radio doesn't even exist. Even the top-of-the-line fully loaded Motowiz APX8000 has limitations.

After doing a deep dive on all the Uniden offerings going back a ways, you find it's hit and miss until you get to the BCD436HP and BCD536HP. Those are the only two that have all of Uniden's "basic features" in one unit. Then they have some really advanced features on top of that, which you would expect from the top model. And even the "Clock Radio Scanners", which look pretty cool, have this strange "hit and miss" design approach. One has a clock display with automatic NIST Time setting (neat feature), the others don't...but they have Priority DND which the clock display model doesn't. Weird!

After playing around with my BCD325P2...a radio I really want to love...I discovered another seemingly obvious flaw with the firmware. When searching, if you have Tone/Code Search set to CTCSS/DCS, the scanner WILL NOT decode digital signals! I'm not talking about digital NAC or Color Code searches (which it won't do either), but it won't even try to demodulate P25 or DMR. So, you set it to NAC/Color Code and it will demodulate P25 and DMR...and show the NAC or CC (no slot or Talkgroup or Unit ID)...but WILL NOT show CTCSS or DCS codes on analog. Why did Uniden put this large wall between digital and analog? You shouldn't have to choose "Digital" or "Analog". You really want both, especially on search.

Two fixes that would make the BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 much greater would be:

1 - Priority DND

2 - Combined Analog and Digital demodulating with both NAC/CC and CTCSS/DCS code display.

And at least throw in "Slot" and "Talkgroup" on DMR while you're at it.

As for the BC125AT, it could be a big seller for Volunteer Fire Departments if it had Fire Tone-Out. And I would rather have Priority DND on all models instead of Priority Plus (which is useless). These are easy to fix, and would provide solutions that would sell more scanners instead of being "show stoppers".

Phil

Last edited:

milcom_chaser

Very good point, except the $10,000 all-in-one radio doesn't even exist. Even the top-of-the-line fully loaded Motowiz APX8000 has limitations.

After doing a deep dive on all the Uniden offerings going back a ways, you find it's hit and miss until you get to the BCD436HP and BCD536HP. Those are the only two that have all of Uniden's "basic features" in one unit. Then they have some really advanced features on top of that, which you would expect from the top model. And even the "Clock Radio Scanners", which look pretty cool, have this strange "hit and miss" design approach. One has a clock display with automatic NIST Time setting (neat feature), the others don't...but they have Priority DND which the clock display model doesn't. Weird!

After playing around with my BCD325P2...a radio I really want to love...I discovered another seemingly obvious flaw with the firmware. When searching, if you have Tone/Code Search set to CTCSS/DCS, the scanner WILL NOT decode digital signals! I'm not talking about digital NAC or Color Code searches (which it won't do either), but it won't even try to demodulate P25 or DMR. So, you set it to NAC/Color Code and it will demodulate P25 and DMR...and show the NAC or CC (no slot or Talkgroup or Unit ID)...but WILL NOT show CTCSS or DCS codes on analog. Why did Uniden put this large wall between digital and analog? You shouldn't have to choose "Digital" or "Analog". You really want both, especially on search.

Two fixes that would make the BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 much greater would be:

1 - Priority DND

2 - Combined Analog and Digital demodulating with both NAC/CC and CTCSS/DCS code display.

And at least throw in "Slot" and "Talkgroup" on DMR while you're at it.

As for the BC125AT, it could be a big seller for Volunteer Fire Departments if it had Fire Tone-Out. And I would rather have Priority DND on all models instead of Priority Plus (which is useless). These are easy to fix, and would provide solutions that would sell more scanners instead of being "show stoppers".

Phil

Priority DND? Can you elaborate on that... Currently, there's: CC Pri, CC DND, CC Off...

If you want the "barrierless" feature that you speak of, get a Whistler scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.