BC125AT slow to "Open Up" while in scan mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

irescueu911

Premium Subscriber
Do you find that it takes a lot of time for your 125 to "Open Up" to a transmission while in scan mode? I have an old Pro-95 and the newer 125. Side by side while both are scanning, I find that the 125 takes too much time to "Open Up". Consequently, it clips the beginning of the transmissions. My Pro-95 (Slower scan rate) snaps right to it. I have the digital squelch setting on 2 and the signals are plenty strong. Is this normal for the 125 to be slow? Maybe I have a defective one.

SquierStrat

with a ctcss/dcs tone programmed in? if so, unfortunately thats perfectly normal for a uniden. Im guessing you get squelch tails too? GRE made scanners, like your pro 95, do not suffer from these problems. The only way to fix this is to not use tones..

Last edited:

irescueu911

Premium Subscriber
with a ctcss/dcs tone programmed in? if so, unfortunately thats perfectly normal for a uniden. Im guessing you get squelch tails too? GRE made scanners, like your pro 95, do not suffer from these problems. The only way to fix this is to not use tones..

Thats a bummer. I thought the tones would speed up the tuning process...lol. That was my inexperienced logic.

I guess Radio shack/GRE IS a better scanner in that aspect huh? Will the RS/GRE stall with the PL codes programmed in as well?

I'm contemplating ordering a Pro-107 to mess around with. I only need an analog scanner that's easy to program, is very portable, and has alpha tagging. SAME is nice as well. Im a fireman and like to know whats going on before dispatched to me.

Heck, I just might go with the BCD396XT if it's any better. How's it compare with your 125?

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

SquierStrat

the bcd396xt is no better. they both act identically with ctcss/dcs tones. GRE made scanners do not "stall" with the tones programmed in.

nanZor

Do you have one of the original 125's that don't display the firmware version temporarily when powering up? If so, do the firmware update.

While this doesn't directly address the slow ctcss decode, I found that with my original unit that had a number of frequencies affected by internal noise below the squelch level, it also delayed the ctcss decoding even further. The firmware update changed an internal clock and cleaned things up which helped immensely.

N8IAA

Do you find that it takes a lot of time for your 125 to "Open Up" to a transmission while in scan mode? I have an old Pro-95 and the newer 125. Side by side while both are scanning, I find that the 125 takes too much time to "Open Up". Consequently, it clips the beginning of the transmissions. My Pro-95 (Slower scan rate) snaps right to it. I have the digital squelch setting on 2 and the signals are plenty strong. Is this normal for the 125 to be slow? Maybe I have a defective one.

The fact that the 95 doesn't have CTCSS/DCS capability has been ignored in this post. All scanners with tones enabled will always miss the beginning of the transmission.
Now, comparing to another scanner that uses CTCSS/DCS would be the way to understand.
HTH,
Larry

nanZor

Ah, yes missed that about the 95.

However, my recommendation to do the 125AT firmware update if one has the very first version of the firmware, is still true, which helps the the ctcss decoder deal with a cleaner tone, hence faster decoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.