BC125AT

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
I have had a Uniden BC125AT for about a year now and I still don't know what the CTCSS/DCS Is used for. Can someone help explain? I am looking at upgrading here to a Uniden Home Patrol or a diffrent uniden digtial scanner

dmg1969

Very simply, tones are used in the event that two agencies close to each other use the same frequency. They will use separate tones so that they will not interfere with each other. This is helpful to scanner listeners who want to listen to one agency and not the other. Simply enter the tone of the agency that you are interested in and the scanner will ignore the rest using no tone or a different tone. For instance, several counties near me use 462.950 for EMS dispatch. One uses a CTCSS of 203.5, another uses 141.3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
The tones are subaudible so you can't hear them. With a CTCSS programmed on a frequency the squelch on your scanner will not open to allow you to hear a transmission unless it also receives that specific tone during the transmission.

irescueu911

Premium Subscriber
Very simply, tones are used in the event that two agencies close to each other use the same frequency. They will use separate tones so that they will not interfere with each other. This is helpful to scanner listeners who want to listen to one agency and not the other. Simply enter the tone of the agency that you are interested in and the scanner will ignore the rest using no tone or a different tone. For instance, several counties near me use 462.950 for EMS dispatch. One uses a CTCSS of 203.5, another uses 141.3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it safe to say that it is also useful in knowing which agency is transmitting on a shared frequency? (I just got my 125) While in Scan Mode, I'm assuming that if I have a code programmed to a channel and the agency emitting that sub audible tone is transmitting, then my scanner will show the alpha code naming that agency. For instance, ABC Fire Department (Programmed on channel 11) shares 154.22mhz with XYZ department (Programmed on channel 12). If ABC is talking to dispatch, then my scanner will tune to channel 11 instead of channel 12 even though I'm listening to a frequency that is actually programmed twice into my scanner. Having Alpha tags, I can then see WHICH agency is actually transmitting on the SHARED frequency.

captclint

Mentor
Is it safe to say that it is also useful in knowing which agency is transmitting on a shared frequency? (I just got my 125) While in Scan Mode, I'm assuming that if I have a code programmed to a channel and the agency emitting that sub audible tone is transmitting, then my scanner will show the alpha code naming that agency. For instance, ABC Fire Department (Programmed on channel 11) shares 154.22mhz with XYZ department (Programmed on channel 12). If ABC is talking to dispatch, then my scanner will tune to channel 11 instead of channel 12 even though I'm listening to a frequency that is actually programmed twice into my scanner. Having Alpha tags, I can then see WHICH agency is actually transmitting on the SHARED frequency.
Correct

Status
Not open for further replies.