BC200XLT Keyboard Cleaning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
OK.... got her apart.

TO get to the back of the keyboard, I have to remove the board which sits in the half of the case containing the keyboard and LCD Display.

I removed 4 screws, but it's in there pretty good. I recognizr that I may have to sever the two leads to the speaker, but, I am stuck.

Any suggestions???

Got a couple of non-functioning keys. THought getting in there and cleaning and inspecting may shed light. Otherwise, the interior looks pretty darn good.... clean and all. Just can't get to the back of the keys...

k3cfc

Silent Key
uniden bc 200xlt

OK.... got her apart.

TO get to the back of the keyboard, I have to remove the board which sits in the half of the case containing the keyboard and LCD Display.

I removed 4 screws, but it's in there pretty good. I recognizr that I may have to sever the two leads to the speaker, but, I am stuck.

Any suggestions???

Got a couple of non-functioning keys. THought getting in there and cleaning and inspecting may shed light. Otherwise, the interior looks pretty darn good.... clean and all. Just can't get to the back of the keys...[/QUOT

I have one of these scanners with the same issue. here is what a friend told me to do. get an old coffee cup that you can get the entire rubber keypad into and put some water in it and add some MR.clean put it in the microwave so it gets real warm and soak the keypad in there for a couple of minutes. with a tooth brush scrub the rubber keypad and rinse it well. the problem is the oil on your fingers gets impregnated in the rubber and causes this problem. rub the board with some rubbing alcohol. this applies to any rubber keypad on remotes and all.

Good luck

k3cfc

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The speaker leads should, hopefully, be connectorized, so you do not need to cut them. You may need to unsolder them, which is preferred to cutting.

As for the keys, when I used to repair remote controls, I used aluminized tape. Clean and repair any visible damage, and stick tape to the contact side of the buttons. I have used conductive ink pens, with limited success. Nickel print doesn't work very well for this type of repair, in my experience.

slicerwizard

The logic board has to be removed to access the rubber keypad and the keypad contacts on the logic board. Clean the mating surfaces on the keypad and the logic board with alcohol. Use a pencil to coat the rubber pads with graphite; that will restore good conductivity. Reassemble and test.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
The logic board has to be removed to access the rubber keypad and the keypad contacts on the logic board. .

Correct.

What I CAN'T figure out is how to remove that logic board. From the looks of things, at the very least, I would have to sever the two solder joints to the speaker ( I think).

I can't figure out how the board is held on/in there. IS it glued? I was reluctant to start prying around and causing an unrecoverable problem.

Can you tell I am not an electronics tech??? :lol:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; LG-MS910 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Then it would be better to get with soomeone that has repair experience, and have them show you.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; LG-MS910 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Then it would be better to get with soomeone that has repair experience, and have them show you.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Unlikely. Have you overlooked a screw or two? Have you looked under all metal shields for screws?

Yeah....I was a bonehead....:lol:

I took it to a guy I know that is an electronics repair tech, and he found 4 more screws that I missed seeing whilst staring at it for quite a while. To be fair, they were a little comoflaged.....

He took the board off, and showed me all the crud and offered to take care of it for me. Should have it back tomorrow. We both had a good laugh.

I will report back on the results. He said it looked real good in there, generally. Just some residue on the contact points behind the rubber keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.