bc200xlt nimh battery pack upgrade - dead scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotek502

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I got my 6x 1.271v 2200mah NIMH batteries today in the mail. Built a replacement pack ( 7.65v) and the scanner was working, I played with it for awhile. Then I set it down and went for supper.

Got back, turned it on, and to my surprise, it wasn't turning on. No heat on the battery pack, no smell of burnt components. I checked the pack voltage again, still 7.65v. I got paranoid, double checked all my wiring, made sure to follow red and black all the way to the inner boards and out through the spring contact pins. Checked with a multimeter to make sure my red/black from the pack where indeed correct to the little circuit board markings and also followed to the steel tabs the upper body contacts with.

I opened up the body, hoping I'd see something obvious like a popped electrolytic cap, or loose connection. or a fuse! No such luck.

I then dug up a center positive 12v 500ma DC power adapter, plugged it into the pack (not on the body to test) and red LED came on. Voltage across the pads was 9.4v (L4810CV) in the battery pack is specs say it's a 10v voltage regulator. So it makes me doubt somehow batteries caused failure at such a low voltage. Hooked up the battery pack with the power adapter and still no luck.

I know, it's an old scanner, but I just got 12 batteries and it's got a lot of sentimental value.

If anyone here has any tips on further troubleshooting. I'd be happy to try to bring this old beast back to the land of the living.

PS: from thread scouring, I found references here to G&G, so yes, I already sent him an e-mail to find out if from my description, he thinks its worth sending in. So if I can't fix it on my own, I will go so far as have it fixed. And before anyone starts popping suggestions on how to better spend my money, I already have an BCD396XT in transit.

I bet I'm not the only one here who has a history with their old scanner ;)

__
lotek 502

Status
Not open for further replies.