Bc200xlt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker

My neighbor gave me 1 of his dads old scanners n was telling me it wasn't holding a charge...
I charged it all last night n this morning I got about 45 minutes of play time.....
What would I be able to listen too with this scanner?
My neighbor says that his pops would use it to monitor walkie talkies......?
Any suggestions?
Ozzy

Tracker

What is the frequency range of those little portable walkie talkies that they sell most everywhere?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
What is the frequency range of those little portable walkie talkies that they sell most everywhere?

These cover the "Family Radio Service" They generally have 14 channels to 22 in the 460 Mhz. range. See the article on the Radio Reference article at

Family Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

Power output is limited to two watts and it's illegal to put a repeater on the FRS channels.

Range is maybe a couple of miles, though the claims on the packages are somewhat more.

Bob_61

My neighbor gave me 1 of his dads old scanners n was telling me it wasn't holding a charge...
I charged it all last night n this morning I got about 45 minutes of play time.....
What would I be able to listen too with this scanner?
My neighbor says that his pops would use it to monitor walkie talkies......?
Any suggestions?
Ozzy

I had one back in the late 80's and modded it to receive cell phones, but that is useless today. I bought one on ebay last year for 60.00 and it it works great for what it is a conventional scanner. You can listen to just about anything that is not digital, you can listen to a trunk system if you want to press scan all the time but that will drive you crazy! But it is a start at least you have a scanner. Here are some replacement battery options if needed, :bc200xlt batteries | eBay

Tracker

Thanks Bob I have a GRE PSR 800 on the UPS truck, in route from scanner master, so this is just to hold me over till next week....
Ps, I am brand new to scanning n get excited when I pick up ANY conversation
I was thinking that if I knew what the ham repeaters were in my area, I might be able to tune into that n hear some conversations
Ozzy

Bob_61

Thanks Bob I have a GRE PSR 800 on the UPS truck, in route from scanner master, so this is just to hold me over till next week....
I was thinking that if I knew what the ham repeaters were in my area, I might be able to tune into that n hear some conversations
Ozzy

Look at the top and you will see database hover over it and you will see where you can click on amateur radio database enter your zip code an you will be good to go!
Amateur Radio Information

I just did this and opps wrong answer! SORRY!

Last edited:

Bob_61

Ozzy

This should help you out, sorry for the previous post! :(
Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily :)

minskie

Premium Subscriber
I bought my BC200XLT brand new back in 1993 (cost around $500) !

It's still going strong today, almost 20 years old and is still my favourite scanner.

I monitor Airband, Police, Ambo's, Marine, Shopping Centre's, (I'm Listening to it as I type this). :)

Out of all the toys and other 'stuff' I have bought over the years, this radio has stood the test of time and has provided me with
literally hundreds of hours of pure entertainment and continues to do so.

Most of those other toys and stuff have long been at the bottom of the local dump.

This scanner is legendary. Love it !

The only things I have replaced over the years is a better antenna and 2 new battery packs that I bought from Grove Ent.

Enjoy !

Last edited:

Bob_61

I bought my BC200XLT brand new back in 1993 (cost around $500) !

It's still going strong today, almost 20 years old and is still my favourite scanner.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although this is not my original BC200XLT, it realy looks and runs great the battery runs for about 6-7 hrs. Bought it on ebay for about 60 with shipping I'm happy with it! :) :)

minskie

Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob,

After all those years of solid use, the only thing that's not 100% with my 200XLT is the plastic backing facia (with the numbers on it).

I accidently left it in my car on a hot day and it got a bit distorted. although I was able to flatten it and glue it back in place.

Wish I could source a replacement somewhere.

It has seen a lot of use, but these things were built tough. The leather case is also fantastic and was included with the 200XLT. They don't do that anymore !

Status
Not open for further replies.