BC245 Strange Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

servo_fan

I apologize in advance for maybe not knowing all the terminology in describing my problem. It also made it harder for me to search the forum, hence this post.

I have 2 trunked systems programmed into banks 9 and 10 of my BC245. I have conventional frequencies in bank 3. Many times when scanning the scanner stops on one of the VHF channels in bank 3, but what I hear is talk groups from the trunked systems that are in banks 9 and 10. When looking at the scanner display it shows the VHF freq., but when using the BC245 INT program, the freq. displayed is one of the trunked frequencies from bank 9 or 10. Also, when this happens I only hear talkgroups that I have programmed in, not just any talkgroup from the trunked systems.

Any ideas what is causing this, or what it is called, and is there a way to stop it? (other than not scanning that conventional bank). I previously had the trunked systems in banks 1 and 2, but moved them to 9 and 10 when the systems were undergoing an upgrade - and I've left them in 9 and 10. Doesn't seem to matter what banks the trunked systems are in, I get this weird behavior with bank 3 all the time.

My area is going digital next year, so the 245 is on its last legs, but this is starting to get to me.

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I can't speak for your area - a California scannist would be a much better bet - but in my area in Central Maryland, certain talkgroups are echo'ed onto VHF hi band freqs, so that at least might be part of your issue.

However, the other part I've seen before - and it's caused by the Senss program's data files not being in sync with what you have in the radio. Usually I reload, and everything is fine again.

You did say you moved some trunks around in the 245- the Senss program must also be similarly adjusted, or it will never know what lookup is correct.

To borrow an 80s phrase, I feel your pain - my home county is moving to digital, rumor mill has it, by the fall - and right now, as strapped for cash as I am, a digital scanner just ain't in the budget.

73s Mike

Last edited:

randyK

Seems like I remember my Bc245 would do that when trunking priority was turned on & it would work correctly when priority was turned off.It's been sold for probably 3 years so forgive me if I'm wrong,
Randy

Tom_G

As a test, I would turn off bank 3 and see if 9 or 10 display correctly.
Many trunked systems do repeat some of the 800MHz trunked talkgroups on VHF.
They do this in Hartford, CT also.
As far as the second issue goes, if the bank is set to scan it will only scan the talkgroups you have programmed in.
If the bank is set to search it will display ALL talkgroups it receives.

I sold my 245 a few years ago but I always liked that radio...

servo_fan

randyK said:
Seems like I remember my Bc245 would do that when trunking priority was turned on & it would work correctly when priority was turned off
I gave this a try since all the other suggestions had already been accounted for before I posted, (sorry for not mentioning all that). So far I haven't seen the problem since I turned off trunking priority. I'm going to give it a few more days to make sure, thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.