Bc245xlt Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

I got this old radio and I have not done much with it far as programing it and was wondering how to program it ???

I thought all I had to do was put in the control frequency for the cell nearest me and then hit trunk button but that does not work. I dont have a manual for it so if anyone has a good idea on how to program it right let me know , all I want to do is get it to the search mode if I can THANKS ALL -------Jason

JnglMassiv

It's been a while but I don't think you can do control channel-only trunktracking with that radio.
What system are you trying to program?

lugoffman

It's been a while but I don't think you can do control channel-only trunktracking with that radio.
What system are you trying to program?

well I live here in kershaw county south carolina and really just what ever i can with it ,it doesnt matter just wanted to see what all i picked up and try to see if I can pick up somthing that the rr data base hasn't got

lugoffman

That's correct - you have to program a trunk system type and enter all of the system freqs (not just the CC freqs) ...

I have done that but I still must be doing somthing wrong cause I'm still getting the diseal noise. I read the manual that capt clint posted for me and done it that way but still getting that noise , but here is what I did I picked a empty bank and put in the palm 800 control channel thats in red is that the wrong ones to put in Lol !! heck I dont know I'm still learning I'm still a rookie Lol!!!!! I'm so used to the pro164 and the bc296d pro97 that I really dont know much about this one Lol !!! but I know it's me thats doing somthing wrong and not the radio but I'm hoping I will figure it out .

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Be more specific about the system you are trying to program. It sounds like you aren't putting the bank into trunk mode first, or selecting the wrong trunk type. You do indeed need to put all the frequencies - not just the control channel - in that bank. CC only didn't come about until much later. RTM!

73 Mike

Last edited:

N8IAA

I have done that but I still must be doing somthing wrong cause I'm still getting the diseal noise. I read the manual that capt clint posted for me and done it that way but still getting that noise , but here is what I did I picked a empty bank and put in the palm 800 control channel thats in red is that the wrong ones to put in Lol !! heck I dont know I'm still learning I'm still a rookie Lol!!!!! I'm so used to the pro164 and the bc296d pro97 that I really dont know much about this one Lol !!! but I know it's me thats doing somthing wrong and not the radio but I'm hoping I will figure it out .

Download the pdf manual. Look on pages 40 & 41. This tells you how to program in the frequencies. You will need to program all frequencies for whatever trunking system you want to monitor. If you are trying to program a digital system, it won't happen. This is an ANALOG only scanner. What system are you trying to program?? You have to tell it what kind of system it is Type I, Type II, TypeIIi, EDACS, etc.. This is easier to program than the 296! Had one for years, sold it to get something newer.
Larry

lugoffman

Download the pdf manual. Look on pages 40 & 41. This tells you how to program in the frequencies. You will need to program all frequencies for whatever trunking system you want to monitor. If you are trying to program a digital system, it won't happen. This is an ANALOG only scanner. What system are you trying to program?? You have to tell it what kind of system it is Type I, Type II, TypeIIi, EDACS, etc.. This is easier to program than the 296! Had one for years, sold it to get something newer.
Larry

I really dont know what type of system i want to program but I do think that is my problem cause the system I tried to program was the palm 800 camden cell was tring to get hwy patrol but I think i am doing the wrong system i really have not looked at the trunking systems yet to see if i can program it in so i think thats my problem

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes it will - to a point. As this system has digital and encrypted talkgroups, the 245 can't deal with either of these (nothing can handle the encrypted talkgroups). Look at the 'mode' - if it says 'D' that's digital, 'E' is encrypted. Program this system as E2-800 (if you don't know what I just said, go read the manual - unlike the DMA manuals, these older manuals are actually pretty decent).

If you decide to try to use more than one site, you must put each site's frequencies (and associated talkgroups) in seperate banks. Remember you only have room for 10 talkgroup lists, 10 talkgroups per bank per trunked system. So choose your talkgroups with some care.

73 Mike

N8IAA

here is the link to what I am tring to program will this radio do this type of system

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=429

also what i was tring to program is the first one that says camden

If you are trying to listen to the Kershaw sheriff dept and the fire dept, you will not be able to monitor them on the 245. There have DIGITAL TG's. Your 296 will hear them. You will have to Lockout any TG's that make that sound. They are either DIGITAL or ENCRYPTED. Your 296 will hear them. The manual is very easy to understand. Program the Camden site in(you will need to put in ALL frequencies) and then program only the TG's that have an 'A' in the mode column. If there is a 'D' or 'E', the 245 won't be able to decode it to be heard. OK??
Larry

Last edited:

N8IAA

I really dont know what type of system i want to program but I do think that is my problem cause the system I tried to program was the palm 800 camden cell was tring to get hwy patrol but I think i am doing the wrong system i really have not looked at the trunking systems yet to see if i can program it in so i think thats my problem

You should be able to monitor the SCHP, they run mostly in analog. Make sure you are programming the TG's properly. Read the manual. Every scanner you own is programmed differently. You should be able to monitor with the 97, 296, and the 164. Win97 works for the 97 and the 164. There is a Butel software for the 296. It makes understanding the scanner and the systems much easier. It takes time to understand trunktrackers if you have been using conventional scanners. Read the manual!!
Mike and I both stress this.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.