BC245XLT Trunking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB2UZR

Hi Guys:

It's been a long time since I programmed any trunk systems into my 245XLT, been using the software with the 246 and 996, I'm sure someone can tell me what I'm forgetting here! I program the bank, system type, and freqs as per the manual, but get lost at this point. I can't seem to get it to start scanning and getting TGIDs. It's a Motorola Type II system. What's the next step to get it to start scanning TGs? I'm sure it's simple enough!

Thanks

Scott/WB2UZR

troymail

Silent Key
WB2UZR said:
Hi Guys:

It's been a long time since I programmed any trunk systems into my 245XLT, been using the software with the 246 and 996, I'm sure someone can tell me what I'm forgetting here! I program the bank, system type, and freqs as per the manual, but get lost at this point. I can't seem to get it to start scanning and getting TGIDs. It's a Motorola Type II system. What's the next step to get it to start scanning TGs? I'm sure it's simple enough!

Thanks

Scott/WB2UZR

It will only "scan" the TGIDs you program, right...?

Without entering TGIDs, you need to "search vs. "scan", right?

(sorry - I'm too lazy at the moment to go downstairs and grab my 245)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Don't you (at the end of the programming cycle) just press <Srch> to get it to start the ID Search, then you can press an ID sub-bank and program the ID's? It's been quite a while for me also. :cool:

WB2UZR

loumaag said:
Don't you (at the end of the programming cycle) just press <Srch> to get it to start the ID Search, then you can press an ID sub-bank and program the ID's? It's been quite a while for me also. :cool:

Thanks guys, it HAS been a long time! Do I have to physically program the TGID's in this thing? I haven't fiddled with it in years, but I don't recall putting the ID's in one by one, but I may have.

Scott/WB2UZR

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, there's only search and scan - and you wouldn't necessarily have to type in all the TGs manually - Scan Control can copy/paste them right from the database (not as good as having the RR import feature, but it gets the job done). And as an aside, it works with both the 245 and 996.

Anyway if you want to capture the TGs when you are in search mode, here's the procedure (from page 54 of the manual)

a. When you come across a TG you wish to store, press hold
b. Press hold or limit (which really double as up/down keys) to select the location you want
c. Press Enter (which is all you would need to do if you weren't selecting the location in the trunk bank in which to store the ID)
d. Press srch to resume ID Search mode

73 Mike

WB2UZR

Yeah, I see that in the manual, but I am never seeing any TGID's to save. Pretty sad, I have the manual, and still can't figure it out!

Scott/WB2UZR

troymail

Silent Key
OK - I had to get up anyway so I walked down stairs and tried programming my 245... I couldn't get it to work either... so I found my copy of the owners manual and I think the problem was that I forgot that the 245 needs ALL of the system frequencies programmed vs. newer models that only require the CC freqs... Anyway, I think once you have all of the system freqs programmed (in TRUNK mode), just hit SRCH and the TGIDs should start popping up....

WB2UZR

troymail said:
OK - I had to get up anyway so I walked down stairs and tried programming my 245... I couldn't get it to work either... so I found my copy of the owners manual and I think the problem was that I forgot that the 245 needs ALL of the system frequencies programmed vs. newer models that only require the CC freqs... Anyway, I think once you have all of the system freqs programmed (in TRUNK mode), just hit SRCH and the TGIDs should start popping up....

I knew we'd get you off the couch eventually! Thanks for your efforts! I've got all the freqs in there though. I will start the procedure over from scratch. I don't know what possessed me to start programming this thing, I have two other trunk trackers, but now it has become a quest.

Scott/WB2UZR

troymail

Silent Key
ok - so you did this:

Press and HOLD TRUNK until the radio beeps and he display starts blinking....

Select the bank number to program

Choose the system type (first one should be right -- E2 800)

press E

enter the first system frequency (xxx.xxxx) and press E

Press man or hold and go t the next "slot"

enter the next frequency and press E

Press SRCH

TGIDs should start appearing....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
and remember, this being an old tracker, you must enter all the frequencies. CC mode wasn't invented yet.

73 Mike

WB2UZR

Well, got it figured out, I needed to program in trunk mode, which I wasn't doing. What happened was, I moved to Florida a few months ago, and I had a trunked system from my previous location in the bank I wanted to use. I just went in and entered the freqs in without going in to trunk mode, some of the freqs were the same anyway. When I started to procedure over from scratch, it worked fine. Thanks for your help guys, that's what comes from using software to program your scanners!!

Scott/WB2UZR

Status
Not open for further replies.