BC246 TPS scanning setup question - advice and expertise wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyr8

I have the following dilemma and could use others advice and expertise!

I’m not sure how to arrange my "systems" and "talkgroups" on my 246 for scanning TPS.

The 4 options as I see it:

1: Setup a single "system" with all primary and alternate control channels for the 4 main towers in Toronto with each grouping of divisions IE, Group 1 (11/12/13/14 Div).....group 2 (51/52/53/54/55)...ETC in its own "talkgroup".

2: (Suggestion from a forum member!)
Setup 4 separate “systems” each with a specific primary and alternate control channel for a corresponding tower IE, “system1”= North Tower “system2”= East Tower…and so on for the 4 main towers and duplicate all of the “talkgroups” in each of the “systems”.

The thinking behind this is that if you move around the city you might lose pieces of conversations if for instance you went with option 1 ware by your scanner would associate and lock on to one tower and you might lose conversation if a car is on the boundary of two towers.

3: Setup 5 “systems” each representing the clusters of divisions that exist in the TPS IE, the “teens” 11/12 ETC, 50’s, 30’s…ETC, and set specific primary and alternate control channels for each of the 5 based on what tower they would be closest too.

4: Same idea as #3 but include all 4 primary and alternate control channels for each of the 5 “systems”.

I hope I made sense and appreciate your advice! :)

jellotor

Well, I would offer that with a 246T you may well have difficulties in your single system setup...since the scanner will stop on the first control channel it sees you will have to lock out the CCs you don't want to listen to.

This setup works well on my BC250D for multiple Fleetnet CCs in a bank. Of course, with the 250D there are channel numbers so using the VFO to select a CC to unlock isn't necessary...just punch in the channel number. With the lack of channel numbers in the 246T I think there's probably no way around using the VFO to find the correct CC.

I say try it each of the ways you have listed and see what works best. Personally, I suspect separate systems for each site on the TPS system is probably the safest bet...

jellotor

Um, second option. Treat each site as a separate system and switch systems as you drive about town.

But as I said as well, try the others and let us know how well each of them work.

pathalogical

I set my 246 up as 4 systems N, S, E, W. Each has its primary control channel and its alternate control channel using 'control channel' only feature. I then set up my Groups. Group 1 Divisions, Group 2 Tactical and Group 3 Temp use. I then copied ALL Groups into the other 3 Systems because any ID can show up on any tower site, that is, 41 div can show up on West and 23 div can show up on East, though it doesn't happen that often. All this in SQK 2.

I then did the exact samething with EMS - 4 systems, each with the identical Groups and into SQK 6. And finally the same with FIRE in SQK 0. Now, if all I wanna do is listen to police, I can shut the other two off. I don't use the software, so the COPY SYSTEM feature is extremely useful...a real time, and thumb saver !

The general consensus is: 4 sites ='s 4 systems. How you set up your groups is entirely up to you. There are as many ways to set up TPS as there are 246 users out there, everyone has there own unique way of setting it up.

This is the long answer to your # 2.

EDIT: Hey Mr. Moderator, how come there's no sticky on Toronto Public Safety ? Not just about programing, but also for general type questions.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm not sure why the Toronto system would warrant a sticky?

If we sticky it, we might as well sticky every system we discuss on here.

People can search and find information faster if questions are broken down into separate topics.

The Provincewide systems are stickied as they affect a large number of users in a large geographical area.

The Toronto system is also much easier to program then the Fleetnet system.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Mike_Oxlong said:
I'm not sure why the Toronto system would warrant a sticky?

If we sticky it, we might as well sticky every system we discuss on here.

People can search and find information faster if questions are broken down into separate topics.

The Provincewide systems are stickied as they affect a large number of users in a large geographical area.

The Toronto system is also much easier to program then the Fleetnet system.

Perhaps Mike you are right but thisis not just any municipal systemas it services a population of 3 Million in Canada's largest city (larger than the population of all atlantic provinces) and has 3 agencies using it and is extremely busy. It might just be worthy of a sticky in where and how many of us program it.

Its your call though

Last edited:

wyldman

I've done a lot of playing around with the TPSS.

Program it as 4 separate systems.Create one system first,usually the South tower,then add all your TGID"S,separating them into groups.Program CC's only,with CC only on,and the status bit off.Once your happy with it,then just duplicate it to make 3 other systems.You can then just rename them,and change to the correct control channels.

Pyr8

It was actualy you i quoted at the top! ;)

wyldman said:
I've done a lot of playing around with the TPSS.

Program it as 4 separate systems.Create one system first,usually the South tower,then add all your TGID"S,separating them into groups.Program CC's only,with CC only on,and the status bit off.Once your happy with it,then just duplicate it to make 3 other systems.You can then just rename them,and change to the correct control channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.