BC246T Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbital

Just recently purchased a BC246T and was wondering if an Antenna upgrade would help increase reception. Currently I'm just using the one it came with.

I have to say, it's a very nice scanner and after a little work found it very easy to program. I'm new to trunking so I needed an hour or two to figure out how trunking scanners work. Had a SC150B for nine years and she's still going strong. When trunking came along, I lost some of the conversation but never or less the scanner was reliable and a hard worker.

If anyone could provide some info on an after market antenna and if there worth the upgrade. Thanks.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
The radio shack 800mhz antenna is a much better antenna then what comes with the radio.

orbital

Dubbin said:
The radio shack 800mhz antenna is a much better antenna then what comes with the radio.

Is this the antenna your refering to?

800MHz Scanner Antenna $16.99
radioshackantennard3.jpg

Thanks

orbital

I would like an Antenna that will work best for HAM. I listen to 145.xxx through 147.xxxx
Will any of these Antennas increase my range on ham. My old SC150B picked up Ham really well but this new BC246T seems to be really static on the same channels. Of course I want to listen to everything but I could always swap antennas when I go back to trunked systems. Below I posted some radio shack antennas will these help?

800MHz Scanner Antenna
Model: 20-283
$16.99
radioshackantennasi2.jpg

Deluxe Antenna for Handheld Scanner
Model: 20-034
$19.99
deluxantennamodel20034mn1.jpg

Tom_G

Diamond or Comet

The Comet SMA-503 will be great for 2 meter and 440 HAM and has very good receive outside of that.
Diamond also has the SRH-519 that is very similiar.
Both of these antenna come with an SMA connection so no adapters will be necessarry.

orbital

Tom_G said:
The Comet SMA-503 will be great for 2 meter and 440 HAM and has very good receive outside of that.
Both of these antenna come with an SMA connection so no adapters will be necessarry.

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at these and more than likely pick one up.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Tom_G said:

Actually, the BC 246T has a BNC antenna connector, so you would need an adapter to use these antennas.

The Diamond RH77CA is a good antenna for 2 meters and 440 MHz, and has a BNC connector.

orbital

W4KRR said:
Actually, the BC 246T has a BNC antenna connector, so you would need an adapter to use these antennas.

The Diamond RH77CA is a good antenna for 2 meters and 440 MHz, and has a BNC connector.

Sounds like the Diamond RH77CA is the way to go......

Status
Not open for further replies.