BC246t cable question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grivo

Please forgive me for the stupid question but I'm not sure what to do.

The programming cable is too short and I was wondering if someone sells a longer one.
What is the connector called that attaches this cable to the computer and are extension cables available for this?

Thanks

wyldman

If it the serial version,you can get a serial extension cable,available pretty much anywhere that sells computer related stuff.

If you have the USB version,you will need a USB extension cable instead.

Grivo

Thanks. It's definitely not USB.

I believe Office Depot is calling it a "VGA Monitor Extension Cable" and has them fairly cheap.
Thanks again.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Grivo said:
Thanks. It's definitely not USB.

I believe Office Depot is calling it a "VGA Monitor Extension Cable" and has them fairly cheap.
Thanks again.
It's definitely not a"VGA Monitor Extension Cable". wyldman has it right, it's a serial extention cable. Office Depot, Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc, should have one, as long as you get someone not more interested in selling you a cell phone or digital camera.

Grivo

OK got it.
Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. I will tell the sales drone what I need and bring the BC246 cable with me.
Hopefully things will go better at Office Depot than in my past experience with Radio Shack's sales folks.

Grivo

Just a quick update:
The Office Depot person laughed at me, called my cable old and said computers haven't come with serial connections in years. He said they don't even carry serial cables anymore.

Radio Shack was much more helpful and had one. Their stock number is 26-117B and it is labeled RS-232C Cable Male DB9 to Female DB9.

Go-24

LOL @ Office Depot, but I tend to agree - if your computer has a serial port (some dont) you only have one. On the other hand most new computers come with half a dozen or more USB ports.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
LOL, sounds like the Geek Patrol at Best Buy. How many laptops/desktops come with floppy drives anymore?

I hope to see a USB port on the next Uniden offering. I know many of us still need serial connections, but it is so much nicer to be able to use USB. Just think how many scanners you could control from one PC! +;-)

twolf816

i woulda told you to get the serial male to female extention from rs had i seen ur post earlier...i have it

TedTed

DaveIN said:
I hope to see a USB port on the next Uniden offering. I know many of us still need serial connections, but it is so much nicer to be able to use USB. Just think how many scanners you could control from one PC! +;-)

What's the point, they already offer USB, just like the GPS receiver it is an option.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
TedTed said:
What's the point, they already offer USB, just like the GPS receiver it is an option.

No, the option is to buy a converter from your favorite PC component shop or buy the USB-1 converter cable from Uniden. USB is not available on the any of the radios currently available from Uniden, only serial.

The only radios that use USB directly (so far) are from Icom (ICR-20/PCR-1500/2500) and Winradio.

As for the GPS option it's serial also, not USB.

TedTed

DaveIN said:
No, the option is to buy a converter from your favorite PC component shop or buy the USB-1 converter cable from Uniden. USB is not available on the any of the radios currently available from Uniden, only serial.

The only radios that use USB directly (so far) are from Icom (ICR-20/PCR-1500/2500) and Winradio.

As for the GPS option it's serial also, not USB.

If you need USB you buy the USB1 cable so they do offer USB and should keep it this way.

wyldman

TedTed said:
If you need USB you buy the USB1 cable so they do offer USB and should keep it this way.

The Uniden USB1 cable is just a usb to serial convertor cable with the correct end for the Uniden radios.

It is not USB,it will install another serial port on your computer,which uses serial protocol to converse with the radio.

It would be nice to see true USB on the future radios,so you ca use a regular USB A-B cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.