BC246T Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

A couple of questions for an old scanner guy but new to this programming stuff. 1) What is the recommended, best, easiest software for the BC246T? Are any of the free demos any good? 2) Can you do anything, other than listen to the pre-programmed stuff, with this scanner without a computer program? Just got one for a really good price on flea-bay, but no owners manual. Yeah I know, but that's a lot of paper and black ink. Thank you in advance.

CStarr59

I've used freescan and it is a very good program to use, easy to figure out and use. If your a premium subscriber you can download directly from RR database. ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN! is the website, give it a try, it's free and lots of people have used it with great results. You will also need a pc cable, usb-1 or older serial cable.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
A 3rd vote for freescan... its free, no demo expiry date.

yes you can program this unit by hand (if you dont have a pc + cable) but it is a bit daunting.
You can listen to "service searches" like weather,etc etc etc

there is a PDF file of the 246T manual online if you dont want to print it out just read it on the PC (if possible)
http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BC246Tom.pdf

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
more info on service searches that you can do without needing a PC to program it.

Press MENU then turn the scroll control until Search
For . . . appears. Then press E. Or press FUNC and
Srch, then No. The search feature options appear.
2. Turn the scroll control until Service Search appears,
then press E to select it.
3. Turn the scroll control until the type of service search
you want appears, then press E to select it.

The following search bands appear.
Public Safety
Ham Radio
Marine
Railroad
Air
CB Radio
FRS/GMRS

The scanner searches the service you selected,
stopping on any transmission it finds and displaying
the frequency.

mdickerson17

Its a great scanner the, butel arc246 software is the best in my opinion (around 60 bucks) makes it quick and easy! And you can program it by hand which is pretty easy or you can use the custom search where you can search certain frequency ranges and quick store the ones you like! I would also recommend the easier to read manual its alot more strait forward than the original users manual, marksscanners.com/246/246.html

Happy Scanning!

pmstern

I am new to scanning and I also got a BC246T on Ebay. I really like the scanner and I find it easy to program just using the radio itself. I downloaded the Butel ARC246 software and I like the program. Very easy to use and was also big help for me in understanding how the radio works.

If you want a copy of the manual as a PDF, I can email it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.