BC246T (New guy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

928GTS

Try giving FreeScan a try for your frequency loading needs. Its free to download and use and I've been using it with my BC246T for quite a few months without a single hitch. Its well designed,easy to use and logical. Give it a go!

http://scannow.org/

mully95

928GTS said:
Try giving FreeScan a try for your frequency loading needs. Its free to download and use and I've been using it with my BC246T for quite a few months without a single hitch. Its well designed,easy to use and logical. Give it a go!

http://scannow.org/

I would but I can't get communication between my scanner and the computer.

mully95

n2mdk said:
It's not a USB device so the driver isn't installed correctly. The cable must show up in Ports with a COM port number or there will be no way to use it.
Is the cable the Uniden USB-1 Cable or is it a USB Serial adapter.

I believe it is USB-1 Cable.

It plugs from the USB connection on my computer stratight into the scanner.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
The same thing happened to me on my BR-330T. Luckily, I found on another thread here, a very simple fix. First, I downloaded the driver for the USB-1 cable on Uniden's website. Then, I used a trick that someone so cleverly came up with here in the forums. I had to turn my computer off, THEN plug in the scanner (while computer was off) and reboot it with the scanner already plugged in. BOOM.... FreeScan recognized the scanner being hooked up and it worked like a dream. I know it sounds very simple, but you may want to give it a whirl....

Good luck!

N1BHH

mully95 said:
I have a Uniden BC60XLT that I have had about ten years. I just purchased a BC246T and have not received it yet but was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should expect going from conventional to trunking? I will more than likely program the scanner using the frequency's I have until I understand the trunking capabilities.

Thanks.

I want to congratulate you for learning how to do it on your own. Most people want to take a short cut and buy programming software. I have always said and will continue to say, if you learn how to program on the fly, you will have a better more enjoyable experience. If you ride around on training wheels all your life, you'll never learn. If you take the initiative, you'll find how much fun it is. Have fun with your new purchase, I've been thinking about getting one myself. I have lots of scanners here, yes, I have experience, but you don't gain knowledge by having it all handed to you. Learning by doing is all the more fun. And may I also say, I love serial ports better than these USB's. I hate that all the newest computers are without serial ports.

Last edited:

RuBBerHeaD

old bearcat better than my new bc246t

I just purchased a BC246T,and i own a bearcat 890xlt,why is it that i cant get much on my bc246t and my old bearcat seems to find more stuff on fm than my new scanner,iseems like i cant pick anything up with my new scanner,is it cause my new one is a trunking scanner?

please help thanks

mully95

axledobe said:
The same thing happened to me on my BR-330T. Luckily, I found on another thread here, a very simple fix. First, I downloaded the driver for the USB-1 cable on Uniden's website. Then, I used a trick that someone so cleverly came up with here in the forums. I had to turn my computer off, THEN plug in the scanner (while computer was off) and reboot it with the scanner already plugged in. BOOM.... FreeScan recognized the scanner being hooked up and it worked like a dream. I know it sounds very simple, but you may want to give it a whirl....

Good luck!
Can you help me find the driver for the USB-1 cable? I looked on the site and can't find it.

I about to throw this scanner threw the wall!

mully95

n2mdk said:
To get them from Uniden you have to register, but you can get them from Scannermaster.

http://www.scannermaster.com/USB_Cable_p/01-551038.htm

I got the cable.

I need the driver to make the thing work (I guess) that axledobe is talking about. I went to Uniden site and have downloaded everything a man can download but I do not see anything about a driver download for USB-1 cable.

hodet

RuBBerHeaD said:
I just purchased a BC246T,and i own a bearcat 890xlt,why is it that i cant get much on my bc246t and my old bearcat seems to find more stuff on fm than my new scanner,iseems like i cant pick anything up with my new scanner,is it cause my new one is a trunking scanner?

please help thanks

Rubberhead, you would have more success if you started a new thread in the Eastern Canada group instead of putting your queries in threads that are already started and talking about other things.

There a handful of Timmins people from what I can see that could probably help you out.

A thread in Eastern Canada section with a title like "need help, Timmins Ontario" or something might be better.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
Mully95:

Go here:
http://www.uniden.com/my/Index.cfm?accessdenied=/my/downloads.cfm

You'll need to register and log in. Then, click on download area. Under the "scanners" section, you will see USB-1. Click and download, paying close attention to which driver you need. Also in this area is where you download the firmware loader and actual firmware updates, if applicable.

I hope this works for you. The website is a bit tricky to navigate if you're new to it. Let me know when you have success.

Again, good luck!

n2mdk

mully95 said:
I got the cable.

I need the driver to make the thing work (I guess) that axledobe is talking about. I went to Uniden site and have downloaded everything a man can download but I do not see anything about a driver download for USB-1 cable.

They are right on that page the link goes to both the Win 95/ME/XP and the Vista just look down on the page for blue print.

mully95

axledobe said:
Mully95:

Go here:
http://www.uniden.com/my/Index.cfm?accessdenied=/my/downloads.cfm

You'll need to register and log in. Then, click on download area. Under the "scanners" section, you will see USB-1. Click and download, paying close attention to which driver you need. Also in this area is where you download the firmware loader and actual firmware updates, if applicable.

I hope this works for you. The website is a bit tricky to navigate if you're new to it. Let me know when you have success.

Again, good luck!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

They shouldn't put the USB-1 download with the scanners. I was overlooking it because it was with the other scanners on the list and I guess I just thought it was another scanner.

Now maybe I can program the scanner using the Freescan and get this thing working. I programed the most used police frequency in my area manually yesterday and found out quick that I wouldn't want to program every channel manually.

mully95

Well I have successfully installed the frequencies that I have been using for a long time into the BC246T so the BC60XLT has been replaced basically.

Now I guess you already know what I'm going to ask....LOL!

Where do I start far as the trunking part of the scanner? Read,read,read?

Status
Not open for further replies.