BC246T Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkemple1

I have a Uniden BC246T handheld scanner, and I am really new to this kind of stuff. I seem to have a hard time hearing the scanner very well so I hooked an external speaker to the headphone jack. Will this do any harm to my scanner? The external speaker is one like you would use for a cb radio, it's only about 4 inches. If it matters, it is actually a Uniden Bearcat external speaker. I don't want to hurt my scanner. Any help would be appreciated.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I don't think it will hurt your scanner,but the earphone jack has a circuit to lower the sound so you don't damage your ears when you plug in earphones and that will make the sound coming through the speaker sound low.

KI6LWI

Won't hurt it at all, but I'd recommend an amplified speaker to get any decent amount of audio out of it. Like the other guys said, it steps down the voltage going to the headphone jack to a level that won't blow your ears out with headphones, but the down side is that it won't have much power through a speaker.

dkemple1

Thanks to all, I am not real educated on ohms and all that good stuff. That was my main worry. I have been listening to scanners for a while, but they were the old analog type, and now with all the bells and whistles on everything ( I had to have someone else program my 246T) I am sure I am not utilizing it the way it could be. I am just too paranoid and afraid I will mess something up.

KI6LWI

Newer scanners are a bit of a pain to program by hand sometimes. It can be done, but it's tedious and time consuming. Try looking into some of the software packages available for your radio, it makes the programming go a whole lot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.