BC246T trunk system Hold Time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I like my 246T a lot, especially the dynamic memory concept. It's the first one of those I've owned and read in the documentation that the 2-second hold time on trunked systems cannot be zeroed-out due to the design of the scanner. Two questions: do all dynamic memory scanners have this characteristic or are some available where you can zero-out the hold time on trunked systems; I'm not a tech so I don't want to take the 246T apart if there is a circuitry way to zero it out, but is there a way either by download or by menu or keyboard to modify this feature? Thanks in advance as always for the help! Ford

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Are you listening to an LTR or SCAT system? From what I see in the manual for the 246 and the 996T is that either scanner must hold for a minimum of one second on those types. The 246 manual says "Due to the control method......". All other types should be able to be set to Zero. I usually just leave mine on the default 2.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is inherent in scanning trunked radio systems. Unlike conventional scanning, where the scanner just needs to check for a signal above a particular threshold, a trunked system is "scanned" by sitting on the control channel and checking for channel grants/channel updates for channels you are interested in. If it truly spent "0" time, then you'd never hear any traffic. It takes 1-2 seconds for the system to transmit all current channel activity. So, at a minimum, a scanner (any scanner) must sit on the control channel that long in order to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.