BC246T vs PSR300 vs PRO164

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim38

Premium Subscriber
I have my General ham license, but I'm new to scanning. Can't afford digital and I figure these are next best. Not sure which one to buy. Mostly listening in to Spartanburg, SC. Confused on which one is best for the $. I want to use software to program. Any advicewould be apreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

jim38

Premium Subscriber
Digital: Cost versus benefits

Todd,

Thaks for the advice. I'll look into this.

What are the features in digital scanners that you think warrant buying used and the extra $. Also, any suggestions of models to look for?

Jim

scannersnstuff

just my opinion.

i would go with.in this order.

1.246t.
2.psr-300.
3.pro-164.

while i do not own either a psr-300 or pro-164,i did own a 246t and have a psr-500 <the digita version of the psr-300>. i am happy with both.

captclint

Mentor
I would also recommend the 246. The tone lockout is the only annoying feature. It takes way too long to block a PL/DPL, so you hear 1-2 sec's of voice before it mutes.

Since there are trunked systems, you should definitely get software. This will not only make your programming much easier, but it will help you understand all of the features of the 246. Here is a list of software: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC246T#Supporting_Software Three that provide the most value are ARC246 by BuTel, and free programs, FreeSCAN and BCtool. They allow a automatic download of any or all frequencies in your county and state from this site, and sets up trunking TGID's & para's(this is a big help). They have a neat virtual control panel that works your scanner from the keyboard., but the best part is that it logs all the information(freq & PL) and lets you see your scanner window in a much larger scale that you can actually see clearly. The logging is great when searching, but it is also handy for normal scanning. Often, I do not look up in time to see what agency was just talking, so I just look at the log.

Neither BCtool or FreeSCAN work well with the 246 logging, so if that is something think you would like, then I can strongly recommend ACR246. If logging is not needed, then I lean towards BCtool, because the display can be easily minimized and made to "stay on top". However, you can download all three and see which one you like(ARC free demo has some limitations, but it is robust)

Also, if you have a new PC or lap top, you will need a serial to USB converter from Uniden http://tinyurl.com/2cqyu4 or Radio Shack: http://tinyurl.com/2gpbsp . Another source is http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=2276&seq=1&format=2, for quite a bit less. It is reported to work.

Note: You would need to become a paid subscriber to this site to get the automatic down loads, but this is also very reasonable($7.5 for 3 months). This can save you countless hours of programming and frustration.

Last edited:

fireant

I would go
GRE 300
Pro 164
BC 246T

The GRE receive a lot better than the uniden hands down my 246 is awful deaf even with different antennas. I actually do not have it as my dad took it since, I was basically not using it. However in the time, I did will tell you my Pro 97 which is basically about the same thing as the GRE 300 blew it away receiving. Have nothing against Uniden have 396,330 and the BCT 15.

Just my 2 cents

Fireant

CStarr59

I have my General ham license, but I'm new to scanning. Can't afford digital and I figure these are next best. Not sure which one to buy. Mostly listening in to Spartanburg, SC. Confused on which one is best for the $. I want to use software to program. Any advicewould be apreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, I had all three of those scanners and the psr-300 is the best performing of the bunch. I use win97 and it is a real charm for programing the radio. If you don't need digital the psr-300 is the way to go.

jim38

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice. How much does the 800MHz antenna add?

pogbobo

$20 at radioshack ... its a pretty good antenna :)

and I would reccomend the psr300 over the bct246 ... I sold my old pro97 to "upgrade" to a 246 and I'm not happy with it, the menus are great but its nothing compared to the bct15 or the pro97

firefighter89

There isn't any digital in Spartanburg yet but Spartanburg City FD and PD are moving to the Palmetto 800 system by January 2009 and it is possible they will be digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.