bc278 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyOBoy

I have a Uniden BearCat 278 digital scanner which is about 8 years old, about 4 months ago I stopped getting signals from any frequencies. I recently upgraded my base antenna (which is approx. 50 ft in the air) and checked the cable and I still can not get anything. I also put on a steel roof, I don't know if this would interfere with the scanner. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

captclint

Mentor
TeddyOBoy said:
I have a Uniden BearCat 278 digital scanner which is about 8 years old, about 4 months ago I stopped getting signals from any frequencies.
Try all of the weather frequencies to see if you can pull in both weak and strong signals: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Weather_Radio Just noticed this radio automatically scans all weather channels, so do that instead. If nothing, then try the telescoping antenna that came with it. Make the length approx 17". If you do get a weather stations with the telescoping antenna, then it is time for the next steps.

You said you checked the cable. How? Best way is with a multi-ohm meter. Connect one lead to the center pin and the other to metal shield(part the has threads) with the ohm meter set on the highest scale. It should not show any reading at all...meg-ohm resistance. If you assembled the connectors onto cable yourself, then some other continuity checks should be made, but I am assuming you bought the cable with connectors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.