BC278CLT Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorGamer

If you are using one of the older Motorola type antennas you may be able to find an adapter at Radio Shack to convert your older antenna connector to the newer BNC antenna jack found on the BC278CLT.

n2mdk

Looking at the PDF manual the connector is a BNC for the telescopic antenna, the AM loop is another story.

dgnagy

I tried to take the factory installed antenna off today but I can't figure it out. I was wanting to put a connector on it to hook it up to a BNC connection.

dgnagy

This is what the antenna looks like. I can't take out the black part.

Attachments

• BCAntenna.jpg
    BCAntenna.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 267

Jakemcgraw

This is what the antenna looks like. I can't take out the black part.

It doesn't remove from the antenna. That is unidens push on type BNC connector. You can unscrew the telescopic whip from the bnc assembly, but can't remove the black plastic part.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The black plastic part can be removed from the radio but it isn't easy. It is part of the antenna, not the radio. Uniden has supplied this antenna with several different models because the plastic BNC lock is cheaper than metal. Unfortunately once it is put on the radio it is very hard to remove. I'd suggest cutting it off - that way you won't be tempted to use this very poor quality antenna again. Most people who know about this antenna's problems never use it.

I should mention that the radio has a standard BNC jack on it. Be careful when cutting the plastic thing so you don't damage the BNC jack. Make a couple lengthwise cuts so the plastic can be spread enough to pull it off.

Last edited:

dgnagy

The black plastic part can be removed from the radio but it isn't easy. It is part of the antenna, not the radio. Uniden has supplied this antenna with several different models because the plastic BNC lock is cheaper than metal. Unfortunately once it is put on the radio it is very hard to remove. I'd suggest cutting it off - that way you won't be tempted to use this very poor quality antenna again. Most people who know about this antenna's problems never use it.

I should mention that the radio has a standard BNC jack on it. Be careful when cutting the plastic thing so you don't damage the BNC jack. Make a couple lengthwise cuts so the plastic can be spread enough to pull it off.

That worked, I cut off the black plastic piece and know I can plug in the bnc plug. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.