Bc296d/bc796d help needed asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2WAYMAN

4-7-12 2125 HOURS EDT
Hello and a Happy Easter/Passover to all!
Am confused regarding programming a P25 system Common Air Interface-Exclusive system into both the BC796D and BC296D models. Spoke with Gommert from BuTel today and he isn't sure whether these radios can accept a P25 system. Both radios DO have the APCO 25 card in them. With our BCD996/396XT's , it is easy using the ARCXT software, as there is an actual P25 system button choice for System Type in that software. However, in the ARC250PRO (v1.23.01) there is no such choice, and you are limited to Motorola Type 2 800Mhz, Motorola Type I, Motorola 900 MHz, Motorola Type II UHF, Motorola Type II VHF, EDACS Side, EDACS Narrow,LT or EDACS SCAT.. If you use the Motorola Type II UHF system, you need the freq, step and offset ch.. Am I missing something very simple here or is there a simpler way to do this. Gommert stated that for a true P25 system you DON'T use the base, step and offset parameters which is why there are none listed in the RR database for this system.
The system I need to input is the Bergen County NJ Trunked Radio system found here on RR in the database.
So, can these radios accept a P25 Common Air Interface system-Exclusive or not?... and HOW do I do program it??
I would greatly appreciate any/all assistance you can give, either here or via PM.
Thanks in advance!
73's

garys

Premium Subscriber
You don't need the base, step, offset for a P25 UHF system. This came up when Jersey City moved to their trunk. For true P25 systems that data is included in the data stream, it doesn't need to be set up in the scanner.

My 796 experience with a P25 system was limited to some testing for the Providence, RI site of that statewide system. It worked OK, but system range was limited. I don't think that had anything to do with the type of trunking though. I think it was due to the crappy mag mount antenna I was using.

As a test I imported both the Bergen County and Edison Township UHF trunk systems into ARC250. The system settings for Bergen were Motorola Type II 800/900 and for Edison they were Motorola Type II UHF with the base, offset, spacing included.

Note that I don't live in New Jersey and don't have a 796D, so this is all based on using ARC250 and the RR DB download.

Still, it should help you figure it out.

2WAYMAN

BC296D/BC796D Programming Halp

4-8-12 1415 hours edt
Hello Garys! And Happy Easter/Passover to you and yours and thanks for the quick reply.
I will try setting up the Bergen County system using Motorola Type II 800 MHz as the setting and check- marking the "Control Channel" box as Plan 1 ? for the Bergen system.
If you have these two systems already set up in ARC250 and wouldn't mind sharing that file it would save me a lot of time and I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again and have a wonderful day!
73's

garys

Premium Subscriber
4-8-12 1415 hours edt
Hello Garys! And Happy Easter/Passover to you and yours and thanks for the quick reply.
I will try setting up the Bergen County system using Motorola Type II 800 MHz as the setting and check- marking the "Control Channel" box as Plan 1 ? for the Bergen system.
If you have these two systems already set up in ARC250 and wouldn't mind sharing that file it would save me a lot of time and I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again and have a wonderful day!
73's

My memory is that the using any of the control channel plans is only if you are planning to use "Control Channel Only" trunking. Which, on the older scanners was a PITA. Try loading all of the channels, control and voice, in the system and see what happens with the Control Channel plan set to OFF.

I didn't save the files, but if you want I'll see if I can recreate what I did and send it to you. If you don't hear from me in a day or two send me a PM to remind me.

Happy Holiday to you also.

SCPD

QRT
On UHF or VHF P25 system for 796d you do need the band plan. That scanner will not download the band plan for those type of systems.
This was brought up several months ago were some one was trying to program a VHF P25 system in Canada into a 796D. A couple of members said they will not work cause the scanner will not accept the band plans for a P25 system.
Maybe upman can help you and the rest of out. If he could tell us if these scanners do work on VHF or UHF P25 systems. If so how do you program them.

garys

Premium Subscriber
On UHF or VHF P25 system for 796d you do need the band plan. That scanner will not download the band plan for those type of systems.
This was brought up several months ago were some one was trying to program a VHF P25 system in Canada into a 796D. A couple of members said they will not work cause the scanner will not accept the band plans for a P25 system.
Maybe upman can help you and the rest of out. If he could tell us if these scanners do work on VHF or UHF P25 systems. If so how do you program them.

I don't know if there is a separate version of the 796/296 for Canada, but the US versions should accept the VHF/UHF band plan information. Uniden released a firmware update some time back to address this. I don't have a 796D so I can't test that out to confirm. The only true P25 system I had programmed in was an 800 Mhz one.

2WAYMAN

(Paul)- UPMAN-NEED YOUR HELP- ASAP!!!

4-9-12 1548 HOURS
Paul--- Please read this thread in its entirety as NO ONE has given us a straight answer on these questions:
Question 1: Are the BC296D and BC796D scanners capable of being programmed to accept either or both
Motorola UHF and VHF P25 Common Air Interface-Exclusive trunking systems? and 2: if so HOW does one accomplish this??? (The BCD396XT and BCD996XT are simple, as with the ARC-XT Butel software you just check off P25 and you are all set.)
In the Uniden and Mike's Easier to Read manuals there is no clear answer either.
Are you supposed to use Base , Step and Offset Channels and set it up as a Type II UHF system?? If so,
if you would provide us with a SIMPLE way to determine the base, step and offset channels for a system as the article on same in the WIKI seems more confusing than it is helpful.
I would greatly appreciate it if you would please provide us with the answers to these questions as I am not the only RR member needing this information.
Once again, thank you for your kind assistance and anticipated speedy reply.
73's

Status
Not open for further replies.