BC296D - No signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillKaye

My trusty BC296D seems to have stopped working, so I am hoping that someone may have a solution, aside from having to replace it.

I don't know if anyone has access to a service manual, or for that matter whether Uniden offers any type ot repair service for non-production models. (I'm keeping in mind that if they do I'd need to determine their cost since I don't want to pay more for a repair than what a later generation scanner might run!)

I cleared the memory with the 2-9-Manual reset option and reprogrammed it with known working sites, including VHF, UFH and the 800 band -- but same results.

I suspect that it is in the antenna connection, either a defective BNC plug or bad/broken solder connection internally. When I tune to area FM broadcast stations I can get a faint signal, so I had a friend who is a ham bring over his portable unit. I entered his transmit frequency into a open channel and when he keyed his unit I received the signal quite clearly, but then again we were only about 6 feet apart. That leads me to believe that the scanner probably doesn't have any major circuit issues.

Any thoughts, suggestions, sources for service manuals, ideas, etc. ????

Bill

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Its prob the internal coax that goes from where the back of the BNC connection to the PC Board. Its a easy fix. I have had the same problem with some of my uniden scanners. Let me know if you need more help with it.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the antenna connection. If you can move the BNC connection at all, it is almost a certainty.
Put the scanner on a weather channel that you normally would receive. Then tighten and loosen the antenna with a bit of pressure at each stop. If the signal comes back, even for a second, that would pretty much confirm the internal antenna joint.
Use caution when you tighten the internal nut as normal mechanics tools may be too big. Also, I believe there is some kind of threadlock on the nut. I have used it when I retighten the nut to keep every thing snug.
I then reflow the solder joint, AFTER I retighten the nut.

chris

sjlamb

I agree with the antenna connection. If you can move the BNC connection at all, it is almost a certainty.
Put the scanner on a weather channel that you normally would receive. Then tighten and loosen the antenna with a bit of pressure at each stop. If the signal comes back, even for a second, that would pretty much confirm the internal antenna joint.
Use caution when you tighten the internal nut as normal mechanics tools may be too big. Also, I believe there is some kind of threadlock on the nut. I have used it when I retighten the nut to keep every thing snug.
I then reflow the solder joint, AFTER I retighten the nut.

chris

Sounds like a good plan to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.