BC296D value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

Thinking of purchasing a working, good condition BC296D to experiment with digital. Is it worth $200 ? Good points, bad points? Does this scanner require the digital card option?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope, the card is built in. It can be rebanded when the time comes, so that's not an issue. You might want to ask if the serial cable is also included (it's hard as hen's teeth to find them, and Scanner Master doesn't have it - I just looked. You'll need it when rebanding happens), or if it has a working battery (if not, this article lists several possible distributors for hi capacity batteries...)

Powering Your Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The card was included but not built in. Just ensure a seller didn't take it out.
The 296 doesn't have some options like newer models, but will do just fine.

Note some P25 systems with high offsets may not work as it's over the limit of what the scanner can handle (as is the case with the 796).

Yes $200 is a great deal

lb3ll

Ive got a BC296D and its great. I think i paid about 160 on ebay but its pretty scratched up and didnt come with a serial cable. I got one later off a guy on a forum. I recommend getting one, its a nice scanner if you can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.