BC296d - what to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2kth

So I'm looking at my BC296d and wondering what to do with it. I always had an issue with it mainly due to charging. as I recall it needed around 14 hours charge for less than 8 hours use. Was there ever a better charging method for these? Maybe a question like this belongs in a different forum. if so, please feel free to move it.

teufler

a new battery cluster helps some but 8 hours is about normal. Shutting off the light helps some too. I left mine plugged in all the time, finally just unplugged the battery and left on the wall wart. Kept from over charging the batteries. I did find a source for the cluster, they claimed 2200 mah batteries, they were green, they did give longer life.

kc2kth

Thanks teufler, the issue with the larger pack though is even longer charge times since if I recall correctly the charging circuit was fixed at a specific, relatively low rate. This one might headed for the classifieds.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Take out the battery plug it in and use it as a base station.Also could use it as a secondary weather alert receiver if need be.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Put a good antenna on it and do milair. It's quite likely you've got a fair amount of it around you with McGuire just a hop, skip and jump from you...we have freqs in both our database and wiki.

Another possibility, if you're close enough to the ocean, is marine. And if that does interest you, go a bit further, mod the radio with a discriminator tap, and check out AIS monitoring. We have stuff in the wiki on that subject, too...

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.