BC296D

Status
Not open for further replies.

marke58

I don't know if anyone can identify with my problem, but I have a used BC296D handheld scanner. The manual is very difficult, along with the software, to understand and doesnt make sense ! I have been having a terrible time with PC control., getting a continuoes "communication error. check the Bc250 or 296 SS remote" Someone had suggested keeping at 19200, but not the cause. I contacted Uniden support and they recommended the USB-1. After researching their own site, it says this cannot be used with my model, and suggested the prolific PL 2303 (serial to usb) that I have, through radio shack. More research said that a new driver may be the problem, but still nothing. Does anyone have any situation like this ? Thanks

smithken

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure PC Control is turned on? On the scanner press menu, choose system options then pc control and make sure pc control is set to something besides off.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Once again, FreeScan does NOT work with the 296d. It is not a DMA scanner. It would be helpful if a little research was done before making a recommendation like this (nuff said)

Hands down, the best software for the 296D is ProScan. The author is a RR member, and he supports his software with a dedicated thread in our Scanner Programming software support forum, along with his own message board.

That aside, the USB-1 isn't the only cable that would work. We have several generics that would also do the job. Just be very careful about these Chinese Prolific knock-offs that you see on FleaBay and other places. Prolific has put coding into their drivers to disable them if a knock off is detected.

We have a good article on this subject that lists several other off the shelf models that have been known to work, along with using Windoze Device Manager here (any links are blue)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.