BC346XT Fire Tone Out question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvic

I currently have a BC246T and have been thinking about getting a BC346XT, partially for the Fire Tone Out function. In my area, multiple fire departments use the same frequency and have different tones to trip the pagers. I am guessing that the fire tone out for a particular frequency only allows 2 tones for alert? I am thinking that as a work around, I could create multiple entries with the same main frequency and different tones for each different department?

Is this something I can even do?

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
But remember you cant scan while in Tone-Out mode.(which sucks btw) Either scanning like normal or Tone out Standby. Not both...........sorry

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
But remember you cant scan while in Tone-Out mode.(which sucks btw) Either scanning like normal or Tone out Standby. Not both...........sorry

It may suck but it is the only way to get any type of reliability out of the Tone Out Feature. The good thing is that you can buy multiple 346XT/396XT/996XTs that way you can have one on Tone Out and the others scanning! :D

Marshall KE4ZNR

jvic

Are the 10 tone out frequencies entered separately from the regular frequencies?

I knew that you couldn't scan when using the tone out monitor, which I wish was an option. There are times I don't care to listen to all traffic, but would like to hear when a fire department has a call, so it would be good for that.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Are the 10 tone out frequencies entered separately from the regular frequencies?

Yes. The Tone out Frequencies/Tones are stored in a separate area of the scanner than the general memory pool

I knew that you couldn't scan when using the tone out monitor, which I wish was an option. There are times I don't care to listen to all traffic, but would like to hear when a fire department has a call, so it would be good for that.

One cool feature of the Fire Tone Out feature in the XT line of radios is the ability to have the radio listen to up to 10 different sets of tones.
Example: I have the Wake County EMS Alert/Dispatch Frequency of 156.225Mhz stored into each of the 10 Tone Out Slots. I then have 10 different sets of tones stored which are for the different chiefs & other EMS Supervisors. If I select Fire Tone Out Standby then the radio will listen on 156.225 and if any of the 10 sets of tones are broadcast the radio will unmute! Kind of like having a minitor programmed to alert on 10 different sets of tones!
Works great!
Marshall KE4ZNR

box23

One cool feature of the Fire Tone Out feature in the XT line of radios is the ability to have the radio listen to up to 10 different sets of tones.
Example: I have the Wake County EMS Alert/Dispatch Frequency of 156.225Mhz stored into each of the 10 Tone Out Slots. I then have 10 different sets of tones stored which are for the different chiefs & other EMS Supervisors. If I select Fire Tone Out Standby then the radio will listen on 156.225 and if any of the 10 sets of tones are broadcast the radio will unmute! Kind of like having a minitor programmed to alert on 10 different sets of tones!
Works great!
Marshall KE4ZNR

There's another way you can do that. Set one of the slots to the correct frequency and set it to Tone Search instead of Standby. Then you would be able to hear any page, not just the 10 that you can program. Granted if you only want to hear those 10 it could get annoying, but if you really wanted to hear when any page is broadcast this would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.