BC346XT + Freescan | A Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYC4FUN

Hi!

I just downloaded Freescan and programmed my BC346XT for the first time. My past programming experience was specific to Motorola CPS. Some of my queries may be scanner specific, but I don't know enough yet to say that definitively - please feel free to redirect me if this isn't the appropriate forum.

1. Motorola MDC. There are a few frequencies I monitor in NYC that use MDC Signaling. I was able to add the Frequency and PL within Freecan but couldn't figure out where I add MDC. That obviously gets me an "open" channel, but won't allow me - until adding MDC - for a channel to stay closed and tone-out/open-up once MDC is activated.

2. Scanning. The Uniden is telling me that there is "nothing to scan" on my Favorite/Quick Add group. That group has several frequencies within. I'm thinking that there's some higher-level setting/mode that is overriding this. I've been racking my brains just trying to scan one group, but the radio just seems to be scanning everything (and it's mother). I added in Quick Keys within Freescan, but cannot figure out how to activate them.

Thank you in advance for your advice, I'm sure #2 may be a classic newbie question, but reading through the docs - even the "easy" one - I still find myself overwhelmed and without answers.

-NYC4FUN

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi!

1. Motorola MDC. There are a few frequencies I monitor in NYC that use MDC Signaling. I was able to add the Frequency and PL within Freecan but couldn't figure out where I add MDC. That obviously gets me an "open" channel, but won't allow me - until adding MDC - for a channel to stay closed and tone-out/open-up once MDC is activated.

No scanner supports MDC decoding.

2. Scanning. The Uniden is telling me that there is "nothing to scan" on my Favorite/Quick Add group. That group has several frequencies within. I'm thinking that there's some higher-level setting/mode that is overriding this. I've been racking my brains just trying to scan one group, but the radio just seems to be scanning everything (and it's mother). I added in Quick Keys within Freescan, but cannot figure out how to activate them.

<snip>

This is a very common question. So much so that we have an article in our DMA FAQ devoted to it (anything blue is a link)

Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

And this article from the FreeScan user guide gives you a good handle on the tools and concepts of how to use system, site and group quick keys...

Freescan and Quick Key Processing - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

NYC4FUN

Guys,

Thanks so much for posting these links - I'm going to dig in now and see if the content in there addresses any outstanding questions I may have. I know I need to spend more time understanding the Site>System>Group structure here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.