BC346XT or PRO-107

Status
Not open for further replies.

RED1164

Although we have had a scanner for a number of years, I know little about them. I’m on the local FD, and my wife loves to listen to fire and police calls. I would like to get my wife a new scanner for Christmas, but I’m not sure what to get her. I’ve been looking at the Uniden BC346XT and Radio Shack PRO-107.

Can someone offer some words of advice?

jclarkr6

In my mind, the Uniden BC346XT is a great scanner for people that are familiar with programming analog trunking scanners or for those that would be willing to learn how to program an analog trunking system. One nice feature of the BC346XT is that the scanner allows the user to directly enter a frequency; this cannot be done with a Pro-107. The Pro-107 is more of a scanner for people that do not want to bother with programming the scanner by themselves, since the Pro-107 has the entire RadioReference Database stored on an SD Card. You know your wife better than anyone, so only you know if she would rather learn how to program an analog trunking scanner or just sit back and listen to the calls without having to worry about the programming aspect of the hobby. I think of the Pro-107 as the Ipod of the scanner world; just download the data to the SD Card, place it back into the radio, and you're ready to scan! Whatever you chose, I'm sure your wife will enjoy her Christmas present. And if she doesn't, you can always give it to me! :lol:

N8IAA

Although we have had a scanner for a number of years, I know little about them. I’m on the local FD, and my wife loves to listen to fire and police calls. I would like to get my wife a new scanner for Christmas, but I’m not sure what to get her. I’ve been looking at the Uniden BC346XT and Radio Shack PRO-107.

Can someone offer some words of advice?
Are you on the Stark County P-25 system? Your PD is, and they are digital. If your FD is, then you would need a digital, P-25 scanner to listen. Are you still hearing FD and PD on your old scanner? If your FD is conventional, I would get the 346. It is a good scanner. The radio shack Pro-164 is a simpler scanner to program. But, the real question is----conventional frequencies(155Mhz), analog or digital trunked system. Then we can point you in the right direction:)
Larry

RED1164

Are you on the Stark County P-25 system? Your PD is, and they are digital.

We do live in Stark County, but the FD come through our current scanner. As I did some more reading last night, I learned a little about MARCS and that the Ohio State Patrol is digital. :( A digital scanner may be out of my price range...

jclarkr6

Are you on the Stark County P-25 system? Your PD is, and they are digital. If your FD is, then you would need a digital, P-25 scanner to listen. Are you still hearing FD and PD on your old scanner? If your FD is conventional, I would get the 346. It is a good scanner. The radio shack Pro-164 is a simpler scanner to program. But, the real question is----conventional frequencies(155Mhz), analog or digital trunked system. Then we can point you in the right direction:)
Larry

Excellent point, N8IAA. I assumed the original poster was wanting to monitor an analog trunking system since he asked about the BC346XT and the Pro-107. It would definitely be important to determine if he wants to monitor a digital system and/or analog system.

Red1164, if you can answer N8IAA's questions then we can give you better assistance. Is this the system you are wanting to monitor: Canton/Stark County Trunking System, Canton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies?

RED1164

Excellent point, N8IAA. I assumed the original poster was wanting to monitor an analog trunking system since he asked about the BC346XT and the Pro-107. It would definitely be important to determine if he wants to monitor a digital system and/or analog system.

Red1164, if you can answer N8IAA's questions then we can give you better assistance. Is this the system you are wanting to monitor: Canton/Stark County Trunking System, Canton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies?

Yes, we would primarily be monitoring this system.

rvictor

You'll notice a "Mode" column on the webpage for that system. D stands for digital, A for analog, and E for encrypted. You won't be able to decrypt the encrypted channels regardless of which scanner you buy. An analog scanner will allow you to listen to only those marked A. A digital scanner will permit you to listen to the A and D channels.

Dick

N8IAA

Then you need to get a scanner that does P-25 digital scanning. Check the For Sale Forum here on RR for digital scanners. Also, check out RS, they have the Pro-106 and Pro-197 on sale for $399. This is about the cheapest those will get this year. Another, is, HRO Ham Radio Outlet Worldwide Supplier of Amateur Radio Electronics Equipment
This is Ham Radio Outlet, and they sell the GRE PSR-500/600, which are the same as the Pro-106/197 RS models. The advantage they have over the RS scanners, is that they come with the wall warts, and programming cables. So, for $50 more, you get the complete package. You will then be able to monitor the Ohio MARCS system and the OSP, plus many other agencies.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.