BC346XT overloads too bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I notice with my BC346XT that strong signals like from nearby towers of intended reception dont' come in well or at all. i tried the attenuator and nothing comes in on what i'm trying to hear. it's like the Auto Gain Control in the radio is wide open and doesn't adjust to the stronger signals. it shouldn't be like that. all my other scanners and ham radios receives fine, except for the Pro97 gets desense from background signals like FM Broadcast towers.

but this radio doesn't hear anything at all from what i'm trying to hear except the signals further away in the distance. if the radio was working properly the attenuator should let me hear the tower a couple of blocks away.

I also did a discriminator tap so i don't know if that has anything to do with it. unless where i put the ground is messing it up. there's a spot on the board called DISC for discriminator tap and next to it is a GRND which i didn' t see untill i already put a ground wire on the solder on the side of metal shield over the board.
thanks

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I don't experience the overload that you mentioned unless I'm in a location where I'm bombarded with RF. Are you using a base antenna or a duck? Not knowing what your discriminator tap looks like, I would try shielded cable and maybe a ferrite bead on the cable to the PC. Ferrite bead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I don't experience the overload that you mentioned unless I'm in a location where I'm bombarded with RF. Are you using a base antenna or a duck? Not knowing what your discriminator tap looks like, I would try shielded cable and maybe a ferrite bead on the cable to the PC. Ferrite bead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
on the car i was using the larsen scanner antenna. i tried a base antenna at my apt and it works fine of course i'm further away from the towers here. i desoldered the ground wire and put it to the pad labeled ground and see what that does. I wonder if where i had it the wire was acting as a antenna and bypassed the filtering on the radio on the receiver circuit. on the pro97 the wire is soldered to the solder on the metal shield so i figured that's ok on this one. but maybe not. hope i didn't fry anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.