BC346XT Protected Systems question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiVolt

Feed Provider
I bought a pre-programmed BC346XT for my area, and its awesome.

Only issue is that some of the preprogrammed systems like Police, Fire, are protected. I don't really want to change the frequencies or the major setup, but just set priority and permanent lockout of some frequencies.

I can do that just fine with the systems that aren't protected, but not on the protected system.

Can anyone tell me if this involves reprogramming the scanner from scratch, or can it be modified somehow on the radio itself?

Thanks!

MarkWestin

I haven't used protected systems on my own scanners, but the way I understand it once a protected system is loaded into a scanner it can't be changed except to delete or replace it. You also can't copy a protected system back onto a computer. Since you can modify some of the systems, that is a point in your favor. You will need to have software, Freescan is a good place to start. You also need the Programming cable that came with your scanner. If your computer doesn't have a "real" serial port (9 pin connector) like most laptops and newer desktops don't have any more, you will also need a USB to Serial converter or Uniden's USB cable. Once you get everything working download everything that you can from the scanner to the computer and immediately save a copy of it before you change anything. You may be able to read the frequencies of the protected (conventional not trunked) system(s) from the display but I don't think it will show the tones etc. You can play around with the systems that aren't protected to get a feel for how they are set up. If your modified system doesn't work anymore just reload the one you saved on the computer. It is possible to load multiple systems with the same name to the scanner (think mass confusion) so always choose to replace existing systems with the same name. You can probably find the frequencies and or groups (trunked systems) or tones (conventional systems) from the data base. Hopefully this will point you in the right direction. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Mark

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Mark is on the right track above.
Only way to "delete" protected systems in the XT series of scanners is to
create an unprotected system file (it can even have only 1 talkgroup if you want) and name it the exact same name as the protected system name. It will then overwrite the original protected system file with the unprotected which then you can of course delete the unprotected system file.
It is a feature designed for agencies that wish to hand out scanners to their employees but also wish to have a hurdle in place to help deter said employees having easy access to reprogram or reading the memory contents of the scanners.
Marshall KE4ZNR

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Ahh, thanks... So I'm pretty much screwed... I'll see if I can track down the guy I bought it from, maybe he'll reprogram it with these systems unprotected... I tried FreeScan, looks like a nice free software to even just back up the programming, but i cant pull the protected feeds...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ahh, thanks... So I'm pretty much screwed... I'll see if I can track down the guy I bought it from, maybe he'll reprogram it with these systems unprotected... I tried FreeScan, looks like a nice free software to even just back up the programming, but i cant pull the protected feeds...

I don't think you understood my first post.
Let me see if I can explain it better.
Let's use a made up example.
I have a 346XT and I add a protected system to the radio named
"Hazzard PD" using Freescan.
I then decide to sell you the scanner but neglect to tell you the system is protected.
All you have to do to overwrite my protected system is to use Freescan
to create an unprotected system named "Hazzard PD". In Freescan you then navigate
to the "Upload to Scanner" box and select the option of "Overwrite the systems with the same name".
The Freescan software will overwrite the protected system with the newer unprotected "Hazzard PD" system. Which then I can delete.
Marshall KE4ZNR
The software will

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Yeah I see. Those systems would still need to be re-programmed, which I'm not an expert at.

Does a premium RR subscription aid in doing this, ie provide a file that I can upload to the scanner, for Toronto Police, & Fire services?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I see. Those systems would still need to be re-programmed, which I'm not an expert at.

Does a premium RR subscription aid in doing this, ie provide a file that I can upload to the scanner, for Toronto Police, & Fire services?

The Premium Subscription makes it a heck of a lot easier to import system info from the RR database into software (like Freescan). :)

To make it more clear you are talking about 2 different services that are independent:
1) Premium Membership here at RR.com.
and
2) Using that Paid Premium Membership to aid in quickly importing system freqs/channels/talkgroups into most software packages whether they are free or cost money.

Some folks think that once they pay for programming software from an independent vendor that it includes a Premium Membership or that once they subscribe to the Premium Membership that they get all software free. Nope. :)

I recommend Freescan because it is (duh :D) free and because it works well across many different Uniden scanner models.

We have a great Freescan user guide here in the RR Wiki which includes step by step instructions for using your Premium Membership to import systems into Freescan.

Don't get intimidated, it is pretty easy.
Just make sure that you have all needed supplies including a Uniden Data Cable and you might need a serial->USB converter if you are dealing with a computer that does not have a 9 pin serial port.

And of course we longtime scanner geeks will be in forums here to help you out if you get really flummoxed along the way. Helping folks like yourself getting started in the hobby is the only way for the hobby to survive and grow. :)

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

HiVolt

Feed Provider
Thanks... I do have the serial cable that came with it, and a 9-pin serial port in one of my old laptops. That's how I tried FreeScan, and discovered it wouldn't download the protected systems...

Anyway, I'll think about what to do... Glad to see that there's help to be found here.

Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.