BC346xt Stock antenna or 800Mhz Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
For anyone using BC346xt or BC996xt.. when monitoring TRUNKING systems have you guys found it better to use the stock antenna that came with it or a 800Mhz antenna.. i have 800Mhz one from Radio Shack in addition to the stock one.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
For my 346, I definitely prefer an 800 MHz antenna rather than the stock one. Some like to use the adapter that comes with the radio, along with the Radio Shack 800 MHz BNC antenna. Since you have that antenna, you can give it a try and compare reception to the stock antenna in your area. However, since the 346 has an SMA connection, I prefer to go with an SMA antenna such as this one from ScannerMaster. https://www.scannermaster.com/800_MHz_Low_Profile_1_4_Wave_Portable_SMA_Antenna_p/14-541098.htm The reception isn't quite as good, but in an urban environment works okay. For greater distances, it would be worth using a longer 800 MHz antenna.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Sorry, You misunderstood. I was referring to an SMA antenna that a link was posted about. I've been to Scannermaster and there was no name to that particular antenna. I already have 2 RS antennas and 2 Watson WSMA-801 antennas. Just wondered who the manufacturer was. I hate adapters and telescoping antennas

rcool101

Feed Provider
Thanks for the link...............And Yes to the Original Poster. I wish Radio Shack would make an SMA 800 Mhz antenna. I hate adapters. I like to see a 90 degree SMA 800 Mhz for the HP 1. I've had it a couple months now and the stock antenna isn't too bad

Status
Not open for further replies.