BC346XT trunk scanning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawntreader

Premium Subscriber
Relative newby here (to trunk scanning). Upgraded the Uniden BC72XLT to the BC346XT to pick up trunking systems in my county, received the radio in the mail yesterday. Big difference between the two - but Freescan helps ease the pain with programming. My approach was to load my city talk group and the ambulance talk group via Freescan and a subscription to RadioReference. (Thanks for the great posts on how to do this, including USB cable driver instructions!) The city and ambulance groups are two talk groups in a county wide public safety trunking system in Tarrant County, TX that has numerous groups. I hand counted 66 channels between the two groups I wanted to hear on the BC346XT scanner. When I load them to the scanner (via Freescan), I select the option to erase all systems etc. on the scanner prior to load.

Here's where my confusion starts. The programmed talkgroups (city and ambulance) will show up from time to time with the right alpha tags and such on the scanner (great listening!), but most of the time ID tags from all over the county trunkline that were not included are dominating what shows up on the scanner. The scanner shows that there are 84 channels loaded (where did the 18 other channels come from - are they the trunking frequencies loaded into the site?). I want to just listen to my city's and ambulance talkgroups to figure out how this scanner works, but cannot figure out why the scanner is picking up TGID's from across the county, in an ID format on the display (versus the alpha display of the programmed groups). I looked at close call, and it appears to be off. Any help understanding why I can't seem to "turn off" the scanning of county wide trunkline chatter so that I catch the chatter on the two groups I have programmed? Maybe I'm missing something very obvious to a more experienced scanner here...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Check your settings - I think you might have 'ID Search' set instead of 'ID Scan'. Search hears everything regardless of what groups you've defined; Scan says only check those groups I want to hear.

best regards...Mike

dawntreader

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike - that's exactly what was going on. The BC346XT is quite a scanning radio - lots of new ideas to learn and things to try - opens up a new world of "what if..." to me. Trunk scanning is a whole new concept to me, also! I found that the ID search/ID scan mode could be changed "on the fly" by pressing function/scan (just found it in the various manuals). I appreciate the quick reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.