BC346XT vs BR330T

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixwagen

Possibly a dumb question, but is the BC346XT really that much better than the BR330T? The BC346XT has a much larger memory but the BR330T covers more frequencies. And right, there's no NASCAR decal this time.

Eng74

Plus it will decode Fire Tone Out. It is just the scanner that should have came out as the 330. The 330 for scanner heads is a great non-digital radio. As a scanner for the NASCAR fan base it is has a lot of stuff most NASCAR fans would never use. I might pick another one if I find a good deal on it. I did use mine at the California 500 back in Feb. and it was the only one I saw and I don't think any of the radio places could have set it up for the race.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I think he means it will search for fire tones and decode them.

The 346XT is an upgrade of the 246 and the 330, it's a much better radio in many ways than both. Memory, fire tone out search, multi-site trunking, quick number tags, alert settings, band scope operation, control channel data output (not yet supported), lots of great features over the older versions. And yes, no more National Assocation of Scanner Collectors and Radios logo...:p

hfxChris

Database Admin
Hold on a minute. The BC346XT doesn't cover milair?

Deal breaker for me. Maybe.

* 25.0000 - 224.9800 MHz
* 400.0000 - 512.0000 MHz
* 806.0000 - 823.9875 MHz
* 849.0125 - 868.9875 MHz
* 894.0125 - 960.0000 MHz
* 1240.0000 - 1300.0000 MHz

Holy crap. I'll say. Really makes you step back and wonder why, why block out that band...

scannersnstuff

marketing strategy !. uniden figure's you'll buy the bcd396xt if you want milair.it is pretty generous in what it does cover though.it hear's way better than the 330 too.although i liked my 330, i sold it. his name was scanley .

hfxChris

Database Admin
marketing strategy !. uniden figure's you'll buy the bcd396xt if you want milair.it is pretty generous in what it does cover though.it hear's way better than the 330 too.although i liked my 330, i sold it. his name was scanley .
It's a horrible marketing strategy. I think the BR330T is the last good analog trunk tracker... I mean I'm sure the 346XT has a few legs up over it, but still.
Anyway. I should build my own scanner, with all the features I need. I'll use a coconut ;)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It's a horrible marketing strategy. I think the BR330T is the last good analog trunk tracker... I mean I'm sure the 346XT has a few legs up over it, but still.
Anyway. I should build my own scanner, with all the features I need. I'll use a coconut ;)

Well considering that the 346xt is an upgrade to the 246t (which did not have Mil-Air either) I don't see what the big commotion is. I could understand if the 246t had mil-air to begin with but that is not the case here. The 346xt is not the successor to the BR330T, no matter how much people wish that were the case.
Marshall KE4ZNR

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I don't see what the big commotion is.
Whether the 346 is, or isn't, a 330 upgrade is not the point.

The commotion is: Uniden no longer offers an inexpensive handheld that covers UHF mil air. If you want that from Uniden, then you have to pony up big $$$ for the xt.

Not having mil air in a handheld is increasingly becoming a dealbreaker for airband enthusiasts. Obviously Uniden thinks this isn't worth the cost and return on their lower models.

That leaves GRE as the only major player that offers a new, inexpensive, handheld that covers UHF mil air (the PSR-300).

Last edited:

hfxChris

Database Admin
Well considering that the 346xt is an upgrade to the 246t (which did not have Mil-Air either) I don't see what the big commotion is. I could understand if the 246t had mil-air to begin with but that is not the case here. The 346xt is not the successor to the BR330T, no matter how much people wish that were the case.
Marshall KE4ZNR
I was unaware of exactly how the Uniden family tree was shaped, no need for the sarcasm...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I was unaware of exactly how the Uniden family tree was shaped, no need for the sarcasm...

No sarcasm intended...just stating facts that can be easily found out through the RR.com Wiki and through the 346xt/396xt announcement thread (which can be found here even though it has been unsticked) :)
Believe me: I wish the 246t had mil-air as I have one in my collection but I just have to use the 246t for analog trunking and let one of my other radios handle the Mil-Air function...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Guys, you forget about Temporary Lockout and Close Call Temporary Store. These features really important for me.

Sounds like the next model should have some user input before hand. I need to replace a pro-97 and am thinking of the 346xt but the Mil air freqs missing could be a deal breaker for me as well. If I could just heat them both up and press them together.............

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Well, nuts. I had no idea the 346XT was missing the Mil Air band. Learn something new every day. (I should have studied the Wiki a little closer...) But as already pointed out, it's really just the successor to the 246T, which already lacked Mil Air.

Either way, I'm keeping my BR330T. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.