BC355N: VHF Aircraft Band Performance?

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I currently use a BCT15X for VHF/UHF Commercial & Military Airbands. I'm considering dedicating a BC355N to scan 7 civilian VHF frequencies for Selfridge ANGB in Harrison Twp, Michigan. This will free up my BCT15X to be dedicated for MilAir. How does the BC355N perform compared to the BCT15X for VHF aircraft reception?
1597793538679.png

wfiedelman

The BCT15X uses 25 kHz steps between 108.0000 and 136.9750. The BC355N uses 8.33 kHz steps (the current EU standard for the commercial airband but not yet adapted in the US, which still uses 25 kHz steps but will switch at some point). I have a Uniden UBC355CLT, which is the UK version of the BC355N. I'm about 2 miles from La Guardia Airport and hear almost nothing on active airport frequencies using a window-mounted Bingfu VHF-UHF-Ham scanner antenna on the 13th floor of a high rise. The window faces the airport directly. Hope this is helpful.

wfiedelman

I don't have a BCT15X; I have a UBC355CLT. The Bingfu antenna is about as low-end as an antenna can be but adequate for local scanning. As noted, the UBC355CLT/Bingfu combo picks up essentially nothing from La Guardia (I can actually see planes in their final glide path from the window).

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
The BCT15X uses 25 kHz steps between 108.0000 and 136.9750. The BC355N uses 8.33 kHz steps (the current EU standard for the commercial airband but not yet adapted in the US, which still uses 25 kHz steps but will switch at some point). I have a Uniden UBC355CLT, which is the UK version of the BC355N. I'm about 2 miles from La Guardia Airport and hear almost nothing on active airport frequencies using a window-mounted Bingfu VHF-UHF-Ham scanner antenna on the 13th floor of a high rise. The window faces the airport directly. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for your input. It's unbelievable you can't copy an airport well from only 2 miles away, even if it is a window mounted antenna. After not hearing from any other users on using the BC355N for aircraft I surmised it must not be a good performer. It also seems overpriced for what it is, especially when you can buy a new BCT15X for around $150. My BCT15X can copy Selfridge ANGB that's about 10 miles from me using only the stock back-of-set antenna!

I decided to use my BCT15X and dedicate it to all analog VHF AM aircraft and I'll probably pick up a BCD996P2 and use that for UHF Military and P25 digital aircraft traffic. Here in Michigan the USCG and LE aircraft use some P25 digital on MPSCS on occasion

mass-man

My BC355N is a good performer on VHF air! It is paired with a DPD OmniX antenna about 25ft up! I hear planes on the ground 5+ miles away on the unicom freq...planes on approach at an airport about 20 miles away. For what I use it for, which is only 4 frequencies it works just fine. I found mine on an auction site for $45. HOWEVER, it is a real PITA to program. I've had dozens of scanners and this is the worst. To the point that I forget how to do anything with it.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
My BC355N is a good performer on VHF air! It is paired with a DPD OmniX antenna about 25ft up! I hear planes on the ground 5+ miles away on the unicom freq...planes on approach at an airport about 20 miles away. For what I use it for, which is only 4 frequencies it works just fine. I found mine on an auction site for $45. HOWEVER, it is a real PITA to program. I've had dozens of scanners and this is the worst. To the point that I forget how to do anything with it.
That sounds a little better! I read the manual regarding how to actually program the BC355N vs just scanning the service groups. It does seem archaic. I could live with it needing only 7 frequenicies but I'd really miss the alpha-numeric tags.

mass-man

It was cheap and does what I want it to do...I once put in my car, and it has absolutely no tolerance for any kind of noise....engine, power lines, etc.
Literally it has 121.5/122.7/123.7/121.9 for the nearest controlled field and the small county airport five miles away. Find it cheap enuf and the alpha-numeric may not be a problem. If I lived nearer to town, I would follow your lead and get a BCT15X.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
I see you’ve decided....but

I‘d consider a BC125AT as a possible option, it doesn't cover the entire MilAir band but is a hot RX for analog CAP and civilian air bands.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Or perhaps a Uniden 780XLT? you can find them rather inexpensive nowadays. Bets air scanner I have ever used.

Bob1955

I currently use a BCT15X for VHF/UHF Commercial & Military Airbands. I'm considering dedicating a BC355N to scan 7 civilian VHF frequencies for Selfridge ANGB in Harrison Twp, Michigan. This will free up my BCT15X to be dedicated for MilAir. How does the BC355N perform compared to the BCT15X for VHF aircraft reception?
View attachment 90134
The Bearcat BC-355N is the "smallest" piece of JUNK in "ALL"ways. The only good one in that series was the older model BC-350A as I've owned the BC-350C/BC-355N.
The BCT-15X is the BEST analog/truking/conventional scanner (great on aircraft too)out there and it is $159.90 in stock at Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland.
I would of thought that you would of known this "IMONITOR"?

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
The Bearcat BC-355N is the "smallest" piece of JUNK in "ALL"ways. The only good one in that series was the older model BC-350A as I've owned the BC-350C/BC-355N.
The BCT-15X is the BEST analog/truking/conventional scanner (great on aircraft too)out there and it is $159.90 in stock at Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland.
I would of thought that you would of known this "IMONITOR"?
I agree Bob! In fact I bought a BCT15X from Bearcat Warehouse and I couldn't be more satisfied and yes they had the best price in town and inventory stock at that time when I needed it! Initially I didn't want to tie it up for just 7 channels but the trade-offs are too many and too much to give up. So I am using the BCT15X for that purpose and will either buy another one or possibly a BCD996P2 to handle the Mil-AIr stuff as well as a few odd digital aircraft communications in my area. I don't want to use only one scanner for all as I would miss too much while it's busy on an active channel.

For the $60 difference in price, I'm not sure why anyone would be a BC-355N over a BCT15X in less it's smaller size was a necessity.

Bob1955

I agree Bob! In fact I bought a BCT15X from Bearcat Warehouse and I couldn't be more satisfied and yes they had the best price in town and inventory stock at that time when I needed it! Initially I didn't want to tie it up for just 7 channels but the trade-offs are too many and too much to give up. So I am using the BCT15X for that purpose and will either buy another one or possibly a BCD996P2 to handle the Mil-AIr stuff as well as a few odd digital aircraft communications in my area. I don't want to use only one scanner for all as I would miss too much while it's busy on an active channel.

For the $60 difference in price, I'm not sure why anyone would be a BC-355N over a BCT15X in less it's smaller size was a necessity.
Paul at Bearcat Warehouse said he wonders why they even still make that Bearcat BC-355N.
The $60.00 difference is basically like a meal out for (2) people.
Stay safe.

georgesharpe

Great information. You guys have just answered a message I put on another forum about a BCT 15X and air band reception. Sad to say I let a BC 780 XLT go for $50, when I should have kept it. Lesson learned.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Great information. You guys have just answered a message I put on another forum about a BCT 15X and air band reception. Sad to say I let a BC 780 XLT go for $50, when I should have kept it. Lesson learned.
If your BCT15X is going to be your one and only scanner for aircraft you'll appreciate having memory for 9000 channels vs 500.

slowmover

Premium Subscriber
As to the value of a bc355n, it depends on where and how it’s being used.

1). Space

2). Frequencies scanned

At just under $100 I’ve found it a tool to “decide” on whether a better scanner while mobile is desirable.

Or junk the experiment entirely.

Much of what most Scanner enthusiasts value, I don’t (while mobile 300+ days/year).

One might continue this at a higher level, but it won’t change the almost insane number of cables running around this big truck what with a big radio install undergoing regular changes.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Performance is what matters the most to me, especially for reception of aircraft. I thought I could get away with a BC355N for only 7 channels but apparently not. I'm using a BCT15X and you can't beat it. I've had several off and on over the years. I used to keep a new spare on hand in case one failed but that never happened. Built like a tank!

Performance is what matters the most to me, especially for reception of aircraft. I thought I could get away with a BC355N for only 7 channels but apparently not. I'm using a BCT15X and you can't beat it. I've had several off and on over the years. I used to keep a new spare on hand in case one failed but that never happened. Built like a tank!
I use a BC365CRS for aircraft and it works great and easy to program

slowmover

Premium Subscriber
For the price of the Bct15 I bought ALL THE OTHER GEAR needed to conduct the experiments I’ve wanted.

If it proves out, then a better scanner may be installed.