BC396D Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I have been unable to get a certain EDACS analog system to work on my scanner. I plug in the data channel but the scanner still says "searching for control channel" I know the system is not ESK because I subscribe to website with a live feed from the agency. Any suggestions?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You should post this in the Uniden forum, and it would help to know what location via the Radioreference database.

I assume you have entered the frequencies in the correct LCN order in your system by hand or with software?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have...SEVERAL TIMES OVER. FYI, I am talking about the Montgomery County, Texas system.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
mfn002 said:
Yes, I have...SEVERAL TIMES OVER. FYI, I am talking about the Montgomery County, Texas system.

How about the Texas forum, did you try there? You only have four posts so you must not have had too many answers unless you use another name. http://radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I see it's both ProVoice and analog. You should be able to hear the analog talkgroups, but no scanner on the market will let you hear ProVoice digital talkgroups. As you mentioned it's not ESK, so I betting all the action is ProVoice or you would hear something as long as all your system frequencies are there and in the correct LCN order. http://radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=58

If you press Hold on the system do you hear the control channel and see the SysID:01 displayed?

If you scan the frequencies manually (conventionally) do you hear any analog voice?

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
No, there-as far as I know-is no ProVoice. All talkgroups are audable, but it won't scan. When I do go on manual, it comes up on the first control channel, which is silent. I was wondering if the scanner is somehow getting confused over which channel is the actual control channel. By the way, does an EDACS control channel sound like a Motorola one? No site ID shows up, but I keep seeing other scanner listeners post new talkgroups on the site-and there is no indication of any sort of site activity that would explain this problem.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
mfn002 said:
No, there-as far as I know-is no ProVoice. All talkgroups are audable, but it won't scan. When I do go on manual, it comes up on the first control channel, which is silent. I was wondering if the scanner is somehow getting confused over which channel is the actual control channel. By the way, does an EDACS control channel sound like a Motorola one? No site ID shows up, but I keep seeing other scanner listeners post new talkgroups on the site-and there is no indication of any sort of site activity that would explain this problem.
How far away from the closest site are you? There were some comments in a previous thread about the system, that the signal may not be as strong as others.

You do have the system type as EDACS WIDE, right?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
mfn002 said:

The database shows that there are both analog and ProVoice. If you don't hear the control channel when you press Hold, then your system is not programmed correctly. As higetx mentioned, be sure the system is programmed as EDACS wide, not narrow. An EDACS control channel is running at 9600 baud, so it should have a slightly higher tone than the standard buzz-saw sound of the Motorola control channel.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
While I do not live in Montgomery County (I live in Brazos County), I pass through there often enough for the system to be part of my regular scanning routine when I am traveling. I reprogrammed the system yet again, and I will not know if it works until Friday 10-20-06.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Well...I feel really dumb...I had the system programmed in narrowband mode all along...oops...

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
mfn002 said:
Well...I feel really dumb...I had the system programmed in narrowband mode all along...oops...
You're not the first one that's been tripped up by that distinction.
By the way, if you're using the Uniden software, you can pull the system file up in Notepad & edit it to correct the system type instead of having to delete and start all over again. (You can't do this within UASD itself, but it can be done in Notepad in Windows).

Status
Not open for further replies.